Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Land for pig keeping  (Read 2095 times)

boilerman

• Joined Jul 2013
Land for pig keeping
« on: July 29, 2013, 03:56:37 pm »
We have about 1 acre of sloping grazing land on which rushes seem to be taking over in patches, and approx 1/2 acre of copse with mature trees and grassed areas, both well fenced and watered. We would like to keep a few pigs to bring on for the freezer but help would be appreciated in choosng the right breed and how many, also would the pigs clear the rushes as better drainage would be difficult.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: Land for pig keeping
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 05:28:53 pm »
You'll find that most breeds of pigs (traditional/modern/KKs/Mangas etc) would be ok, but some of the heavier types may struggle a bit if it's very muddy.  They will need a dry & cosy arc/house to sleep in & to shelter from the elements.  They will also need some dry areas, as they do not like being constantly in mud/water (though you probably wouldn't believe it after the mess some of them leave their paddocks in  ::)  ) & it's not good for their health either.

Not sure if all breeds will eat rushes - I know KKs will eat them, but not out of preference. There'll be some breeders/keepers of other breeds on here that will be able to advise you more specifically on their chosen breed & may be able to assist you in acquiring them & provide ongoing support too  :thumbsup:

Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 07:29:08 pm »
iv never noticed my pigs eating rushes. we have plenty but maybe they will if they are restricted to an acre.
some people use cattle to graze the rushes. my cattle and ponies do eat rushes but only about when grazing is short. we still have stacks.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 07:35:38 pm »
Spmeone I met recently told me they cut the rushes, dry them and use them like straw for bedding.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 07:30:21 am »
They may not eat the rushes, but if "strip grazed" they'll dig them up for you.  You'll need to train then to electric to do this.  (our book explains all - shameless plug!)
We've used some on a slope to get rid of marsh grass.

Breed wise yes as Beewyched so rightly says any traditional will do the job, and if you're just going to use them fro the freezer they'll be gone before they get too heavy to worry about mud in the wetter areas. 

An acre would let you keep an army of pigs - better to think the opposite route - how many can you and family/friends eat, and then restrict that no. of pigs to an area they can work for you.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 03:52:44 pm »
If the ground has a lot of rushes I'd guess it's wet.  This is not a good environment for pigs so I'd suggest getting a few weaners in early summer and aim to finish them and have them off the ground by autumn.  Also beware of young pigs eating a lot of vegetable matter as it can become impacted in the gut. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS