Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: tagging  (Read 3334 times)

gavin davies

• Joined Feb 2013
tagging
« on: July 20, 2013, 09:05:13 pm »
As its almost near the bacon maker in the sky time I have  bought a tagging tool and the nessesary tags I tried for 2 hours earlier but not one of the pigs will allow me to put the tags in thier ears as they were legging it around the pen I think the only option is to get them so drunk that they sleep through it is this safe and how much alcohol is safe to give them or is there another way this could be done thanks in advance

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: tagging
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 09:36:47 pm »
No sure about the alcohol Happy Hippy has used it in the past (for her pigs not personally!) Do you have any hurdles you could use to make a small area? or put feed in a trug/bucket and try then  :fc:  or failing that get a slap marker good luck.
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 10:30:29 pm »
Gavin do at feed time ... stroke their back moving down pig board between you and the pig balanced and do ear furthest away from you .. so you need to reach over tag! then move away if necessary do over several feeds depending on how you feel

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 10:37:11 pm »
I use a large bucket of goats milk. They love it and I get the tags ready pour milk into trough and tag away. They hardly notice it as too interested in the milk
Graham

Clive

• Joined Sep 2012
    • Precious Porkers
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 10:46:44 pm »
We tag at feed time and never get more than an irritated squeak. We do ensure that we always make a fuss of the pigs when feeding though. This makes it easier when tagging as they are used to being handled.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 12:28:41 am »
When I take pigs to the abattoir I tag them as they;re hoovering up the feed I've scattered into the trailer. They rarely even notice. Don't fanny about just do it firmly without hesitating. When you've done a few you'll find it easy.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 12:30:25 am by hughesy »

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 07:47:22 am »
Lovely expression Hughesey, same way I do it, they have their head down, bish bosh job done

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 10:08:57 am »
No sure about the alcohol Happy Hippy has used it in the past (for her pigs not personally!)

Oh I don't know, there's definately times my pigs drive me to drink  ::) :roflanim:
We give a can of beer (sometimes 2) to any sows that are stressy at farrowing time - this chills them out a bit, but I've never done it with tagging.
Normally we tag at feed time, when their head is in a bucket  ;) You've got to be quick and confident - they don't hang around long enough for a second chance either  :innocent:
Good luck  :thumbsup:

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 12:39:10 am »
I tag in the trailer when they're eating. Much easier in a confined space. Practise on a piece of cardboard first, to get used to how much pressure you need to use.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 11:23:28 am »
I once got a handful of weaners drunk, quite funny really.
My boss always raised a few, and she helped out at the local show, where she got all the dregs from the beer tent.
Two old fashioned milk churns full of leftover pimms/beer/whatever else came into it arrived next to the pig pen.
She told me to give it to them, but hadn't specified she wanted them to only have a little for the next few days, so I poured the lot in.
Came home later in the afternoon to some drunk pigs lying around sleeping it off!
They seemed none the worse for wear, but I wouldn't recommend it lol

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 01:26:08 pm »
do it quickly and firmly. the gentler you are the worse it is.
we have had trouble with some Z tags bending and failing, which doesnt help. our tagger has a metal pin so its good and strong.
agree with the others - keep them hungry then feed them in the trailer and do it quickly when there head is in the bucket.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS