Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dog indigestion - help!  (Read 2440 times)

Lizmar

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Carrick on Suir - Tipperary Ireland
Dog indigestion - help!
« on: July 28, 2009, 10:36:50 am »
My dog has kept me up most of the night feeling sorry for himself.  He managed to catch a rabbit the same size as himself yesterday (him being Colin Feck, my 'little' JR).  He ate it all apart from the head and one ear, oh and the tail I found later.  He couldn't move after, but sat up half the night crying.  His stomach actually rolled as he walked. 
I let him out a few times, but nothing "came out" either end!  This morning however things moved in a big way - need I say more.  Once he was properly mobile again, what did he do?  Went looking for more Rabbits.
I'm now at work trying to keep awake and he has gone back to bed!
Is it normal for a dog to eat a whole one? The only good thing is I can cut down on buying dog food, but then again have to buy more worming tabs!!

sandy

Re: Dog indigestion - help!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 10:38:06 am »
Little  :pig: I have had that feeling myself!!!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 01:33:35 pm »
Personally I wouldn't have let him eat the whole thing anyway, not much wonder the poor thing has indigestion.  he probably has a bellyful of worms now too.  You'd better get worming tablets from your vet quickly.  If he catches another one take it from him and give him bits at a time - and don't let him just eat rabbits and nothing else - not exactly a balanced diet is it?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Lizmar

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Carrick on Suir - Tipperary Ireland
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 01:39:00 pm »
Worming tablets already in him.  Wasn't a case of letting him, more like, couldn't catch him. He was virtually eating on the run.  When he got it he knew he shouldn't and dived in the bushes knowing I couldn't get him - took a large stick to poke at him and get him out, then he legged it until I caught him with just the head left.  He knows he was wrong as he can't look at me yet, even when he was crying in the night, he had his back to me, though still wanted a cuddle, which wasn't appreciated at 3 in the morning! 

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 01:45:42 pm »
Aha, I can sympathise with that.  I am currently training my young dog to the gun and hopefully for field trials and he used to be like that.  I have much better control over him now but he might still take off after bunnies. Fortunately my trainer has a rabbit pen which we will be using shortly to establish additional control.
I would check your worming regime anyway - you may be better to give him another dose - your vet will know the least time gap between doses if you explain what is happening.  Good luck!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 01:54:10 pm »
My farm cats regularly come up the track dragging enormous adult rabbits.  I am amazed the farm cats can drag them, as they are not over large themselves.  They eat every last bit of the rabbit, and then curl up in the haybarn for a couple of days.  Never seen any ill effects on the cats, except them being fast asleep with a full belly!!  Squirrels are another thing they are partial to!!

If your JR felt that ill, you would think he would be giving the rabbit hunting a rest for a while.  There again, he probably enjoys the chase, the eating......and has to put up with the after effects.

leena

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 05:49:25 pm »
Got to agree about the worming, you just cant take chances. lung worm and heart worm not to be messed with.

I let mine eat skinned and gutted rabbit a couple of times a week.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 07:56:14 pm »
Our old cat, Cass, used to kill and eat rabbits. He used to leave the back legs and the tail. I reckon that's pretty close to a natural diet - but he was wormed regularly.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS