Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pork Burgers  (Read 3159 times)

mwncigirl

• Joined Sep 2011
Pork Burgers
« on: July 15, 2013, 11:00:25 pm »
Hi :wave:  We're going to make our own pork burgers as we have loads of pork to experiment with. Anyone have any good recipes?
Come find us on Facebook, Williams Poultry  :-)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Pork Burgers
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 11:36:29 pm »
i was thinking the other day, why are burgers called Ham"burgers"? were they originally cured pork?

pork, cheese and mustard go well together.

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 09:53:15 am »
Honey & mustard is good too  :yum:
Caramelised onion  :yum:
Apple is a favourite in this house - just add freshly grated apple that's had a squeeze of lemon juice on it.
Pork & stilton  :yum: :yum: :yum: (wrap the sausagemeat around a thin slice, so you get a melting middle  ;))
Spicy cajun (just using a pre-made seasoning)  :yum:
Sweet Chilli  :yum: :yum: :yum: (Use a pre-made sweet chilli sauce and put in some blanced thinly sliced spring onions)

The possibilities are endless  :thumbsup:
I make mine with the same base as sausages - 70% pork, 20% fat, 10% rusk/breadrumbs and an egg to bind it together (or 2, if it's a big batch)

HTH & good luck
Karen

mwncigirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 08:22:44 pm »
Thanks guys, great ideas. just waiting for our borrowed mincer to arrive.......
Come find us on Facebook, Williams Poultry  :-)

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 08:59:30 pm »
Top tip when mincing...... cut your meat into small cubes (1-2 inch in size) and stuck them in the freezer for 10-15 minutes before mincing. Once you've minced it stick it back into the freezer again to chill right back down before mixing and forming the burgers - keeping the meat super cool helps keep the texture nice, it'll heat up going through the mincer, hence chilling it again after  :thumbsup:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 09:24:26 pm »
Top tip when mincing...... cut your meat into small cubes (1-2 inch in size) and stuck them in the freezer for 10-15 minutes before mincing. Once you've minced it stick it back into the freezer again to chill right back down before mixing and forming the burgers - keeping the meat super cool helps keep the texture nice, it'll heat up going through the mincer, hence chilling it again after  :thumbsup:

do you trim it completely? we have a good mincer but one sniff of sinew and it jams up, so we have to trim everything except soft fat. i dont know if this is right? i always presumed burgers were made from cr*ppy bits.

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 09:34:11 am »
Yes, I trim the sinew off (wouldn't want to be eating it anyway  ;)) I suppose butchers mincers (big, powerful, commercial machines) would probably cope with it.
HTH

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS