Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: chicks/growers of slightly different ages  (Read 1863 times)

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
chicks/growers of slightly different ages
« on: July 15, 2013, 12:13:27 pm »
Hi
I have 3 x 4 week old chicks from the incy and 4 two week old chicks hatched by a broody. Seeing as the broody chicks are running about eating all sorts, can I get them all onto growers pellets soon when current bag of chick crumb runs out?

Also, would the broody hen tolerate the older chicks in with her? They'd just be to 2 to add as will get rid of the male-I don't have to but having them in together will make my life a little easier.

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
Re: chicks/growers of slightly different ages
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 01:03:57 pm »
I suppose it may depend on the temeparment of the hen. I have two chicks with two different hens only 1-ish week apart in age. I tried to get the older chick's mum to take the younger one but it didn't work. She kind of ignored it for 5 mins then started pecking it. Didn't have the courage to try it again. I'll be interested to see if you can manage it. Don't know if you can have a pendhere they can see each other then physically introduce them?
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 01:32:12 pm »
no, can't really run them side by side. There is probably too much size/age difference and will have to wait until the broody chicks and mum can be separated and put in together.

Fanackapan

• Joined Jun 2013
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 07:03:50 pm »
Think if I was going to try something like that I would try slipping the chicks under the mother hen under cover of darkness then they are just 'there' when she wakes up, if she is a placid hen it could work. As for the feeding, think maybe the younger ones should stay on the chick crumb for the required amount of time, if you give creatures a good start they stand the best chance of maturing into good adults, I am sure I have seen small 5kg bags of chick crumb probably in Pets at Home but must be available elsewhere, by the time you wean them from crumb onto growers surely there wont be much wastage ?

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 09:25:38 pm »
hi-thanks for your input. You're right, should just keep to the plan and will do-won't introduce the growers until the younger ones are away from mum and they can all be on it. I just wasn't planning on 2 batches of chicks so close but she got broody and I decided to give it a go and so housing is limited but have a cunning plan :D
since I seem to have ended up with 4/5 girls out of 7 I am not complaining !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS