Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rampant pygmy male  (Read 1565 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Rampant pygmy male
« on: July 23, 2013, 10:41:38 am »
Bobby, the long haired, built like a tank, pygmy (large sized!) is usually keen after the females.  But for some reason this year he is terrible.  He is running with one small dairy female. but that is not enough.  He is screaming constantly, headbutting the bull gate supposedly holding him in.  He was out in his paddock with his female, but decided to go in search of another woman.  I got to the farm yesterday morning, to find he had got out overnight, gone through the pigs field (no grass there) and was trying to get through into where two female AN goats are.  Fortunately they are penned up at night.
I saw him serve his female, and she must be grateful he has, because he may leave her alone now.  Even the heat does not stop him - he waddled up the field, tongue out, kicking his racket up.  It goes on hour after hour.  He has water, food, hay - trashes all that while in his temper tantrum :'(   
I actually did wonder yesterday when he was at his worst, if his hormones were out of control - and had my phone not been out of action I think I honestly would have rung the disposal man to come and do the deed - yes, it was that bad.
I know there is rig calm for horses, but is there something for rampant billy goats?  A sedative perhaps??!!

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
Re: Rampant pygmy male
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 02:43:14 pm »
Rig Calm does work.........................try it , you have got nothing to lose at thispoint !!!!!!
Somebody else had this issue and used Rig Calm

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 10:59:04 am »
Thank you Wytsend!!  I was asking as a desperate measure, but did not think I could actually use it on a goat.  Obviously he would need a smaller dose than a pony, but the way he is built he is probably as heavy as a Shetland for example.  Darren is an Angel in comparison ;D   I know a male goat after a female is good at negotiating obstacles, but Bobby even amazed a local farmer who watched as he rampaged through the fences and gates to get to where he wanted to be.  I am surprised we have not had a Council visit about noise - I think Bobby would be off the scale of acceptable noise level.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 11:34:53 am »
probably best to start on a very small dose...............you can at least increase it as needed !!
Keep us all posted................may be very useful for others if it works as I expect it to.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS