Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rare chooks in quarantine face death over single case of salmonella  (Read 1655 times)

Victorian Farmer

MORE than 4000 rare chickens held in quarantine at Torrens Island may be killed after one of the birds was found to be infected with salmonella                                http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/rare-chooks-in-quarantine-face-death-over-single-case-of-salmonella/story-e6frg6n6-1226678983851
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 04:42:34 pm by Victorian Farmer »

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Rare chooks in quarantine face death over single case of salmonella
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 05:13:22 pm »
my daughter is wanting a hamster / gerbil and apparently they can carry salmonella. i didnt realise that.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 09:14:09 pm »
Australians are a bit paranoid about this sort of stuff. Of course this is the land where you can get bitten by a tiny spider that hides under toilet seats and quickly die.

I think they are over- reacting a lot.

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 10:58:40 am »
Australians are a bit paranoid about this sort of stuff. Of course this is the land where you can get bitten by a tiny spider that hides under toilet seats and quickly die.

I think they are over- reacting a lot.

Agree!!!!  They can keep their beaches, laid-back-lifestyle, better quality of life - who wants live in terror of their bathroom - never mind all the other beasties in the garden or pool!

Have they tested their commercial flocks for salmonella? 1 in 4000 would be good wouldn't it?
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS