Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hulless Oats as feed  (Read 8684 times)

rustyme

Re: Hulless Oats as feed
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 08:58:59 pm »
Hello Muc,
            if you were using an old horse plough you could fit the 12v winch and battery to the plough itself ,. The switch is then to hand all the time , you could even make a dead man type cut off set up . The cable would then go from the winch drum to a fixed point the other end of your plot you are ploughing ie the tow hitch of a car ! Thats how I did it to see if it worked , which it did , just it was a bit slow !! A bigger drum would speed it up a little bit ? It was still faster than digging by hand though . The picture shows a handy bit of kit that I have used on and off for 20 odd years:

cheers

Russ

Muc

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Co Clare, Ireland
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2009, 03:43:01 pm »
Hi Rusty,
Got a loan of a scythe today and if the rain stops I'll take it for a test drive. The guy I borrowed it from said to do ten swipes and then two strokes of the sharpening stone over the blade.
Also, have tried for two days to upload a Heath Robinson cartoon but can't decipher the instructions so what chance have I with machinery?
Regards,

rustyme

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2009, 05:15:30 pm »
Hello Muc,
             seeing as the scythe is his, then it's best to go with what he says. With mine I tend to go either the length of the field or until I feel a slight pull on the blade . Then just stop and give a few strokes of the with the stone. 10 swipes and then sharpen would put me off my stroke too much (I wonder if thats where the saying comes from ? ) , I get into a rhythm and go into la la land , don't really notice anything else going on . As for machinery ...yes I am the same mate ... I tend to hate it , so 200 year old technology suits me sir !!!!  ::)

cheers

Russ

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS