Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Topping with a scythe  (Read 2453 times)

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Topping with a scythe
« on: July 12, 2013, 10:21:30 am »
I'm planning to top some of my fields with a scythe.  I'm thinking that the stalks will just lie around on the top of the grass and look rather ... errr ... unsightly :).  Will they rot down or will they hang around for ages and possibly rot on the top of the good grass underneath?
Am I right in thinking a mechanical topper crunches them up in to smaller pieces, so this is less of an issue then?
If I do it with the sheep still in the field, will the sheep eat said toppings and thus leave the field a bit tidier?

Still playing with tractors

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
  • You can never have enough HP
Re: Topping with a scythe
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 10:37:46 am »
Yes a flail will mulch the cut grass. a topper only tops the longer stalks.

The sheep will probably eat some of the cut grass but they will prefer the fresh stuff underneath. most will rot and blow away in a strong wind.

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
Re: Topping with a scythe
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 10:07:52 am »
If grass is very thick it will ruin the grass below so might be better to rake it off. If its just the thin seedy grass tops I wouldn't worry (or if its short grass). When we got are haylage cut I always went round and raked away the bits the baler didn't collect as it just rotted and smothered the grass.
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS