Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what does ringworm look like and how to cure  (Read 7902 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: what does ringworm look like and how to cure
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 09:53:18 am »
Our vet has recommended the holly - I will try it for next year and report back.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 12:34:33 pm »
Ring worm is a fungus not a worm ( a bit like a fairy-ring mushroom ring) My brother, as a child, caught it once from my rabbits/guinea pigs even though he was usually away at school. I never caught it once even though I was with them everyday, so don't worry too much.

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2013, 08:43:13 pm »
you can buy a million different potions and lotions for ringworm in cattle and they all work.... does that suggest something to you!

As stated above Sunlight is what kills it and the cattle will pick up an immunity that will then stop them having it.

Then a few years down the line you will get ringworm and go through the complete cycle again.

Creosote kills ringworm in wood (not creocote)

wallyward

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2013, 07:54:07 am »
Hi

so the update is we did nothing!

While thinking about what to do we noticed that since putting them outside the ringworm had stopped getting any worse, so we left it.

After the last few weeks of good sunshine it has all virtually cleared up. so sunshine really does seem to work!

we will though be extra carefull when getting teh barn ready for winter.

many thanks for all the suggestions recieved.

regards

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS