Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bowmont Breed  (Read 12865 times)

fionadeans

• Joined Feb 2013
Bowmont Breed
« on: July 11, 2013, 11:39:30 pm »
I am investigating the potential of the Bowmont breed, to be developed into a sustainable source of Scottish wool to be used within the Textile Industry.

A Bowmont is a Shetland x Saxon Merino and can be found dotted around Scotland and England. Its fleece is very fine at 16-18microns and would therefore be a possible future source of high quality Scottish wool.

If there were a Wool poole established that offered you a premium for your Bowmont wool, Would this temp you into breeding Bowmonts? Why - why not?

What are your Reservations?

I look forward to your replies!!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Bowmont Breed
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 12:26:10 am »
I agree that the Bowmont fleece is gorgeous.   I wouldn't keep them though as I no longer have my fleece flock and now concentrate on pure primitives, including Shetlands but not crosses.

I know one lady who decided a few years ago now to support the Bowmont project.  She invested in some wonderful sheep with fleece to die for, but she couldn't sell her stock as there simply was no demand.

I think any group offering a premium for Bowmont fleece would need to offer some cast iron guarantees for breeders to take the risk again.

The idea behind the project is wonderful but not for me.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 08:32:38 am »
Never heard of it before so had to a Google to read more.  Fascinating.  Fleecewife - why couldn't your friend sell the stock?    Do they have a poor carcase?   Are they difficult to keep?   Interested to know more.  :sheep:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 08:51:09 am »
Couple of folk in our local RBST group have them.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 01:01:24 pm »
Never heard of it before so had to a Google to read more.  Fascinating.  Fleecewife - why couldn't your friend sell the stock?    Do they have a poor carcase?   Are they difficult to keep?   Interested to know more.  :sheep:

Just someone I've met but there simply was no-one wanting to buy them at the price she wanted (maybe that was it - too expensive).  They are fine animals with a lovely crimpy fine fleece, but hardy from the Shetland input.

Prob Rosemary could answer better than me as she will know this lady too....?

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 01:39:50 pm »

Just someone I've met but there simply was no-one wanting to buy them at the price she wanted (maybe that was it - too expensive).
[/quote]

maybe because no ones heard of them, we had problems selling some breeds of really rare chickens as i think no-one knew what they were.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 02:14:21 pm »
I have had some and sold them on, because I did not find them particularly well suited to our climate and they had endless foot problems on our soil. Also quite dim and a nightmare to clip... I crossed them with my white Shetland tup, but the only female lamb I got was not very nice (although she did have nice fleece). I just found them too much hassle I am afraid. No shearer would touch them either, so had to hand-shear, and that was difficult as they have the same wrinkly neck as Merinos...

I am still experimenting, but have switched to cross-breeding Gotlands with Shetlands. Actually prefer the Gotland type wool/fleece to the merino type one. (and coloured Shetland ones at that)

A final point, there are millions of merinos in climates better suited to them, so (IMO) not much point trying to develop an really fine wool sheep in a wet climate - my Bowmonts were growing green algae (or something like that) on their backs in a wet winter...

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 06:44:19 pm »
I am still experimenting, but have switched to cross-breeding Gotlands with Shetlands. Actually prefer the Gotland type wool/fleece to the merino type one. (and coloured Shetland ones at that)

A lovely cross - not that I'm biased or anything as that is what my girls are  ;D
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 07:55:34 pm »
i like my shetland portland crosses they got a good carcass weight to some grow the longer portland wool and others the shorter shetland one.
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 08:17:30 pm »
I have had some and sold them on, because I did not find them particularly well suited to our climate and they had endless foot problems on our soil. Also quite dim and a nightmare to clip... I crossed them with my white Shetland tup, but the only female lamb I got was not very nice (although she did have nice fleece). I just found them too much hassle I am afraid. No shearer would touch them either, so had to hand-shear, and that was difficult as they have the same wrinkly neck as Merinos...

I can only agree with Anke. The breed was developed to try and get the hardiness of the Shetlands into the fineness of the Merino wool. Well, the wool bit worked - the rest didn't. Bad at mothering, you have to lamb indoors, shearing just as difficult as Merinos, and all the rest of the problems of a breed that's not really suited to the climate. Possibly down south, where it's a bit drier... (If it is anywhere these days!)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 09:07:49 pm »
That's interesting to hear Ina and Anke.  I had understood them to have got some of the hardiness of the Shetlands, but clearly not.   

That was the MackauleyInstitute was it which developed the cross?  Is it still involved in this latest project Fiona?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 09:34:28 pm »
That's interesting to hear Ina and Anke.  I had understood them to have got some of the hardiness of the Shetlands, but clearly not.   

That was the MackauleyInstitute was it which developed the cross?  Is it still involved in this latest project Fiona?

Although they lambed themselves latching on was a drawn-out affair, due to the heavy fleece at that time if year, and it needed clearing... Also they seemed to loose their lambs all the time, and then stood in the field bleating... maybe I just got the "bottom end of class"... (My shetlands don't loose their lambs really ever...)

I thought the Macauley Institute left their farm site and the whole flock of Bowmonts was dispersed throughout Britain?

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 10:04:59 am »

I thought the Macauley Institute left their farm site and the whole flock of Bowmonts was dispersed throughout Britain?

That's more or less what happened. The woman who bought most of them was quoted by the BBC that "she rescued laboratory animals", which was a load of crap. They were just a breeding flock that was sold off, because the institute (now the James Hutton Institute) decided to go out of fine fibre research (they were also working with cashmere goats back then) - they realised it'll never really take off in Scotland due to the climate. I did a lambing with them 10 years ago, and remember it well!

fionadeans

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 10:24:41 am »
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Very interesting thoughts as I have only spoken to Bowmont breeders so have only heard positive things. Good to hear both sides.
I know the Macaulay Institute folded the scheme 30 years ago where the sheep were all dispersed across Britain. Since it closed there has been no such Fine Wool Project investigated since. Devon Fine Fibres has alot now by using the Macaulay's Bowmonts whos fleeces go straight to Finisterre Clothing brand, however there are some breeders in Aberdeen/fife/Borders - one of which won last years RHS.

I just think that with the marketing the Campaign for Wool is doing and with "Responsible sourcing" of raw materials being at the back of most clothing marketing strategies, I think there is more of market today than there was 30 years ago. e.g Holland and Sherry has snapped up the one Saxon Merino flock in Britain and selling it for a very high premium.

Thanks again!
Fiona 

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 06:26:29 pm »
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Very interesting thoughts as I have only spoken to Bowmont breeders so have only heard positive things. Good to hear both sides.
I know the Macaulay Institute folded the scheme 30 years ago where the sheep were all dispersed across Britain.

Sorry, that's wrong, too. I lambed them 10 years ago for the Macaulay...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS