Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: show  (Read 6019 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
show
« on: July 27, 2009, 11:58:21 am »
Well yesterday I took one of my young Shetland colts to his first show at Faraway near Huntly. It was the North of Scotland Shetland Group show and thank goodness it was held in the big indoor school as it was rather a wet cold day. I had entered two ponies but Archie the 2 year old just will not load into the trailer, tried for three weeks so will need to come up with an idea on how to get him in without causing us both stress. Rory is a black yearling and he came home with a 3rd and 4th. he did play me up quite a bit but I managed to hold onto him and get him to stand up and run out so I was pleased enough. I like to get my ponies out to see the outside world when young as they cope much better as adults and take so much more in their stride. It was nice to catch up with people and watch the other classes.  :)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: show
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 12:06:08 pm »
Well done for your winnings. Its strange how some get in and out of a horse box with no worries and others, well that's a different story as you know. I'm sure you will get Archie in and out eventually.

Clairie

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 04:08:57 pm »
Aw!  It's horrible when they don't load!

Shame you're not closer to me or I'd have given you a hand to teach him.  I love teaching them to load! (I'm such a loser!)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 05:27:23 pm »
Well done at your show!! 

One of our younger Dales sometimes gets a bit iffy with loading.  I have found that to stop pulling on the lead rope, give it some slack, and quite often they walk in without a problem, once they think you have given up.  Also a light tap with a schoolng whip on the hocks moves them onto the ramp, and in.  We did have one really stubborn pony, and  got a person either side of the ramp to stop it stepping off, each holding a lunge line, which them tightened round the ponies bottom, had a few minutes of it trying to go back, but it went in fine.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 09:08:21 pm »
If you have problems loading, check out Parelli Natural Horsemanship rather than going mob handed.

Jakebob

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Stirling
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 09:57:47 pm »
Well done!  :)     
Shame about your other pony not loading its a pain when you have got plans for them and they just dont want to play fair  :'(

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 11:47:06 am »
Having worked with some crazy horses over the years I know Archie is not being naughty but is really frightened. I am wondering if it is anything to do with the fact he was attacked in his field last year. he was found with one side of his face ripped. Vet thought it could have been a dog bite but i did think by the marks on his face that it was a badger. maybe whatever attacked him had him trapped in a corner which has given him a fear of being in a small space. who knows. he is such a sweet boy for a colt and we plan to give him as much time as he needs to get used to the trailer. I do not see the point on trying to force him and make the whole problem bigger, I am sure in time he wil come round.  :)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 11:56:24 am »
That's awful. A few months ago a very young foal not far from here was found with 2 slashes to her throat. The Police believe it was the work of some "cult" - this was young, pure, virgin blood. Turns my stomach to think that any human being can do such a thing to an animal. The foal will be scarred for life but is alive. My friend who is the Animal Welfare Officer showed me pictures and it is awful and she says the saddest thing is the wee thing still runs up to people and starngers with total trust. The farmer owner now has to bring all his animals in at night for safety, it's a crazy world.

pegusus pig

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Anglesey, North wales
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 01:40:41 pm »
Well done with the show. ;D ;D

As for not loading its a night mare, Any chance of parking the trailer in the field with all the ramps open then feeding in it, i have solved a lot of loading problems by doing this, there natural curiosity and the want of feed will make them come and investigate. It will give him time to work out the trailer and see there are no scary monsters in it only feed, once they associate the trailer with feed i find they will follow it anywhere and go in and out of it no problems. hope you help him solve his fears soon. :hshoe:

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 09:09:29 am »
Wello Done Sabrina -

Re the loading

We used to load up ours on a regular basis, we do it with the pigs, to get them used to it - we lead them with a bucket of their favourite food, or leave the trailer in their paddock with their food in it, it worked for pigs and our donkey, and loading them is easy now.

Julie

Hardfeather

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 09:42:37 am »
Hi there

I hardly ever go to a show without loading a horse for someone or other. I did three at the last show;D.

The techniques I use are very simple, humane, and effective, don't involve whips, lots of people, or any form of coercion.........and are very easy for owners to learn.

I get lots of work teaching all sorts of horses and ponies to load, so if I can be of any help to you, you can let me know.

I am based in Angus, but will go anywhere to help a horse.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 10:38:15 am »
Thanks for the offer of help Hardfeather, we plan to put the trailer backed up to the stable building with the ramp inside and double doors shut so that he cannot get to the electrics, colts have a habbit of going for the wires as we have had this in the past. this way he can be left to get used to it in his own time. I have tried the food, even had his friend standing loose inside eating with Archie at the bottom of the ramp. I hope given the time he will overcome his fear. I did wonder about getting a load of inseason mare droppings to fill the trailer, after all he is male. ;D

Hardfeather

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 11:11:57 am »
Good luck  :)

You may notice I have changed my username...........it makes it easier for me to remember, as that's the one I use on equine forums.  ;D

Actually, I'm doing a demonstration of training horses to load at the Murroes yard, near Dundee, on Sunday coming. If you were interested in seeing how I work, you'd be welcome to attend. I'll PM you my mobile number.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 11:16:30 am by AengusOg »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS