Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How can I keep mice off my strawberries?  (Read 1853 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
How can I keep mice off my strawberries?
« on: July 11, 2013, 11:22:52 am »
Well - I've netted the strawbs against birds, watered in nematodes and mulched with straw against slugs but I think it's mice that are still tucking in to my strawberries.

Any ideas for a deterrent which doesn't involve killing them with traps or poison? We have a lively buzzard/owl/kite population so I don't really want to do anything to interfere with their food chain.

Any suggestions welcomed :-)
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

mac2312

• Joined Jul 2013
  • church hill
Re: How can I keep mice off my strawberries?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 10:00:21 pm »
might not be mice but bee's or wasps, just spoke to an old farmer and he said when queens are done with the workers they go a bit of the rails, seen wasps attacking mine last year but resembled mice bites, i have mine on 2 inch steel posts 3 feet of the ground hope this helps

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 04:54:30 pm »
Woodlice are the ones in my garden and I have no idea of what to do with them other than keep picking them off or out of the strawberries.

mac2312

• Joined Jul 2013
  • church hill
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 08:49:43 pm »
Woodlice are the ones in my garden and I have no idea of what to do with them other than keep picking them off or out of the strawberries.
put ant powder down around edge of planters if suitable for garden use it will stop them unless they are down the side of the soil

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS