Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Long term affect  (Read 3679 times)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Long term affect
« on: July 10, 2013, 09:51:33 pm »
we have leased 2 paddocks out for a year, ending next spring.
they are currently unused and the grass is way high. i havent seen the tenants even set foot on the land so im sure they wont get it cut at all.
what affects will long grass lying all year have on the ground ie will it lie flat and kill off the grass underneath? or would it recover with hard grazing and resting.
thanks

Still playing with tractors

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
  • You can never have enough HP
Re: Long term affect
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 09:00:48 am »
Did they say they were putting livestock on? if not they have probably rented it as naked acres to adjust their cap payments.
Yes if the grass is left it will suffer later from winterkill. How long is the grass at the moment?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 10:23:33 am »
Agree with BA.

Our paddocks were undergrazed whan we moved here and we didn't had enough stock (or a topper) to keep it down. The grass was pretty rough but I found the ponies are VERY good at grazing it down IF you strip graze it hard, then harrow to break up the droppings.

Then harrow, harrow, harrow in the spring to lift all the dead stuff. We've got a spring tine harrow that has been worth its weight in gold.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 10:26:53 am »
they rented it as it is next door to their house. they have mentioned getting a shetland pony but at the moment the grass is 3ft high as hasnt had any animals on it since april. i have used it for sheep and cattle previously.
the lease expires in april so im not sure whether to discuss it or just let them get on with it.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 10:34:50 am »
they rented it as it is next door to their house. they have mentioned getting a shetland pony but at the moment the grass is 3ft high as hasnt had any animals on it since april. i have used it for sheep and cattle previously.
the lease expires in april so im not sure whether to discuss it or just let them get on with it.

Idiots. The last thing any Shetland pony needs is knee deep grass.

Who do they rent it from?

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 10:49:02 am »
its my field, iv never let out land before and presumed they would actually use it.
admittedly they are paying a good rent but its sad to see it going to pot.

Still playing with tractors

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
  • You can never have enough HP
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 10:52:02 am »
Rosemary is bang on with her suggestion with strip grazing, but i think for your own good you will need to speak to them and educate them on the grass care aspects. at that length it will need to go as hay or long cur silage or flail it. the grass will bounce back for the rest of the year.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 11:33:27 am »
Is it possible they are trying to manage it as 'traditional hay meadow'?  Ie, not cutting before July 15th (or July 22nd on some schemes), and then making hay?

If not, I'd certainly be suggesting that to them!  And you've got stock would eat the hay, haven't you?  ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS