Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Time for a BBQ...  (Read 1748 times)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Time for a BBQ...
« on: July 10, 2013, 04:57:10 pm »
Our first lambs are coming home tomorrow  :excited:  we took them to slaughter yesterday and are picking them up tomorrow morning. Last years lambs were a lot later to finish in the year so we missed bbq season, so bbq lamb is on the menu for tomorrow. Will be really interesting to see how they compare to last years, they were pretty big lambs so hopefully be a good deadweight, but not too fat.
We've got 5 more left to go in 3 or 4 weeks... and are off to look at a few store lambs this eve that are being sold privately, they are the right price and would finish I expect by October, so can help keep the grass down like the current lambs have been doing.
Anyone else saying goodbye to their lambs yet?

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Time for a BBQ...
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 06:22:24 pm »
I might be sending a few off in August ish, if they are ready to go.

Altho I /butcher would be hanging them refrigerated for 5-7 days before eating, (they taste better for it), do you think you will you hang any of yours?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Time for a BBQ...
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 06:30:06 pm »
Ours have hung for just over 2 days, same as last year and the meat was great. We go on our butcher's advice, if he would prefer to hang for longer he would have done.
I was interested to see on supermarket lamb it had been killed and cut on the same day...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS