Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: This years hay crop.  (Read 4212 times)

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
This years hay crop.
« on: July 06, 2013, 04:27:41 pm »
Got it cut today and have put the Haybob on and run it up and greased it.
Booked a big baler for Tuesday and tomorrow I'll get the haybarn ready. Looks like were in for a good harvest and it will be nice to get it in and go up the the Royal Welsh Show.

Anyone else harvesting?
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: This years hay crop.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 06:08:00 pm »
We don't make hay ourselves, but a few fields round here have been cut in the last couple of days. Hopefully if the weather stays like this, quality will be good  :fc:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 06:20:14 pm »
Yes, OH just mowed it this afternoon.  Less volume than usual but looks ok.  With a nice long hot spell forecast it won't be the usual mad panic to get it in, with thunder clouds looming on the horizon.

This is earlier than we usually make our hay, so this time the mad rush is the last minute checks and tweaking of the machinery.  The David Brown was found this afternoon to have a broken brake pipe, but we decided we don't need brakes for mowing  ;D  so we have a few days to fix it before we need that tractor again for baling.   The DB did have to be bump started though (in reverse as that was the way it was facing  ::) ) - achieved by me giving it a good shove - no, I'm not superwoman, I used the little Siromer and front loader to push it with.  A bit hairy but it worked.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 06:21:46 pm »
It's unusually early from here, but our neighbour who made silage from the field edges is making hay with the centre of the field adjoining our land. I think it's a combination of the weather being so hot and perfect for haymaking but also his grandson being available to do all the cutting and turning for him this week, the silage is less strenuous as he's getting on.

We would have made ours this week but oH can only make hay when he takes time off work in August, this week he is tied up with work stuff that can't be moved so I have to cross my fingers for some good weather in August! Tho my hayfever would like it done and the grass gone!

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 09:21:22 pm »
yep OH mowed yesterday and its drying really well.  I hope the forecast is right and we don't have to have the usual stressful mad panic to get it in!
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 09:14:25 am »
The grass part is probably at it's best but the yellow rattle isn't rattling yet and I'd like the wild orchids to have more time flowering and making seed... so towards the end of the month for a weather window..

Still playing with tractors

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
  • You can never have enough HP
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 12:12:44 pm »
We are in full swing down here in Stirling  :excited:

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 04:22:09 pm »
Just finished big baling mine a day ahead of what I expected. Lovely leafy crop and dried out nicely.

Should have enough now for whatever next winter brings.

Such a weight off when the harvest is done. :excited:
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 06:08:51 pm »
i'm near Brewster in Stirling and i don't have land but the farms round here are going crazy i reccon theres more baled and done already this year than the whole of last year (lots of fields were abandoned last year because of the weather)

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 07:17:05 pm »
We're planning to scythe an acre or so on Wednesday as its looking so good weather wise and we,ll be turning and stacking by hand so need a longer window.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 12:24:27 am »
Just spent our 35th wedding anniversary baling hay in unbelievable heat.  Still loading the barn at 2200 but what a relief to get it dry and under cover (disaster last year).  So the celebration meal ended up as a pint of cider and a Mars bar - but it was a glorious evening out on the field and a magnificent sunset. :thumbsup:

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 07:55:17 am »
http://www.bigbalebuddyuk.com/

Wonder if you could use a sand dumpy tote bag like this.?

The amount of hay the sheep seem to waste every winter is annoying after going through all the bother of getting it in.

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 08:02:45 am »

Still playing with tractors

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
  • You can never have enough HP
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 12:41:08 pm »
Remember everyone about combustion in fresh bales, you dont want to lose it all and your barn. We normally leave bales to stand for min 2 weeks before bringing them in, they are large rounds.

Happy haymaking!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS