Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Jungle Cock  (Read 13398 times)

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
Jungle Cock
« on: March 17, 2008, 12:35:35 am »
A friend of mine announced that he's going to breed these unlikely bird both for the pot (taste similar to guinneafoul) and for their plumage which is in great demand for fly-tying.

After I'd stopped laughing (immature I know but hey... I'd had a few beers!) I got to wondering whether he'd need a licence or certification to do this. Anyone know? Any tips I can pass on to him?

rustyme

Re: Jungle Cock
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 01:03:21 am »
I take it you are refering to Red Jungle Fowl ? If you mix breed banams they nearly always revert back to this type of chicken , or look very similar to it !!!  Years ago I kept all sorts of chickens , bantams , pheasants , guinea fowl , quail , and even a few real Red Jungle fowl . I think mainly you only need a licence for dangerous breeds ie ostrich etc, or maybe very rare breeds. At the time, 30 years ago , nothing was needed . There again 40 years ago I bought a couple of baby crocodiles for 10/- each ( 50 p ) , and I was only 10 at the time . I kept them in the garden shed , fed them on dog food , till my dad found them ....they then went to live in London zoo .... ;D  So I doubt you would need anything if you can still buy them ? Another good one to breed for fly tying is the Golden pheasant , as long as the carcase is used for food ? I would hate to think of any bird just killed for its feathers....I sold plenty of their feathers and napes for fly tying , (my dad went to fly tying classes so had plenty of willing customers  ;) ) . The carcus we used for food , not much meat on them though . Common pheasant were much bigger as were guinea fowl .  
 Red Jungle Fowl:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Junglefowl

Hope that helps a bit mate...cheers, Russ

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 08:23:26 am »
They are a really pretty breed, I have never heard of them before.

It puts me in mind of my little Pheonix Bantum but he is a lot smaller  (big personality of course!) - the plumes at the back are beautiful!

Kate
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 09:35:22 am »
I think mainly you only need a licence for dangerous breeds ie ostrich etc, or maybe very rare breeds. At the time, 30 years ago , nothing was needed . There again 40 years ago I bought a couple of baby crocodiles for 10/- each ( 50 p ) So I doubt you would need anything if you can still buy them ? 

i very much doubt a bird is on the DWA (angerous wild animals) list as several animals (that could quite easily kill you) were taken off after the review in the past 12 months! and lots that could do you no harm stayed on!! also if the breed is native to the country you live in a license is normally not required (for cats any way!) scottish wild cats in britain do not require a lisence as they are a endangered native species but ours (shamus and margaret) would quite happily rip my arm off if they ever got the chance! to check licensing of animals contact defra, your local council (be patient ours got confused when asked about a DWA oh and it is your right to have a license so long as you meet all of the requirements they can not legally refuse to issue you one!) and of course google!

rusty - there is a bloke just outside of dartford that has some croc's for sale if you wanted to relive your youth! however you would need to be licensed and have public liability insurance now-a-days!

;D

rustyme

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 10:49:09 am »
cheers Stephen,
                    I think I will give the crocs a miss at the moment . The nearest I get to anything like that is when I find a lizard theses days. :D   I have been thinking about wild boar though !!! :o ;D

cheers

Russ

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 12:03:27 pm »
i wonder if you would need a license of some sort for those?!?! the are native (i think!!??) so i would assume not!

my oh wants to cross wild boar with gos and tamworth in the future when we manage to get our slice of paradise!  ;D

rustyme

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 12:08:51 pm »
yep you do need one ....they were native 3-400 years ago , but the ones that are about in the wild now are escapees or have been let loose deliberately. Some are thought to be pure wild boar from easten europe , while others are thought to have been crossed with captive pigs.

dave1

• Joined Mar 2008
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 03:21:54 pm »
Jungle cock capes cost a small fortune these days, so good luck with the venture.

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 03:25:18 pm »
cool cheers rusty, not sure you would need something as severe as a DWA for them tho..... the license itself isnt that expensive but where we live (for example) the local council rules mean we have to be covered for up to £5m for public liability, normally its £2 / £3m! if you had to be licensed under a DWA it certainly wouldnt be financially viable! unless you already have one license you can always get another with little or no affect to the insurance! (license's 'tend' to be per enclosure and species specific!) all this is from a cats side of things tho (a specific species as well!) so it could be different as with regards to something like wild boar!

ill check with my oh when i get home and have a look through the list of DWA animals! and post more later on!

;D

rustyme

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 04:00:44 pm »
The DWA Act is currently under review. It was intended to keep us safe from people inclined to keep tigers and leopards in the garden shed and alligators in the baths, as opposed to farmed species.

MMMMMmmmmmmm  ??? do they have to spoil all my fun ...???? ??? ;) ;) ;D

One of the proposed changes to the Act is the removal of farmed wild boar from the Act.

AAAhhh !!!! now thats more like it ...!!! ;D ;D ;D

rustyme

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 04:46:37 pm »
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WuqgOYRj20Q&feature=related

Back on topic......there are lots of videos on youtube proporting to be RJF, but most just look like bantams that look like Red Jungle Fowl. These look much more like the real thing , although you never can be sure !!

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 09:15:34 pm »
hey rusty

have chatted with my oh.....

as far as he knows wild boar are (as you said) on the DWA listing, however they are concidered to be a farm / herd animal so the license is alot more 'lax' then for other species on the dwa. also it should be per herd (are a group of pigs a herd?) of wild boar not per animal! so would make it substantially cheaper, havent a clue if it would affect the insurance side of things tho.....

:D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS