Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hogmany in Scotland  (Read 3701 times)

Tullywood Farm

Hogmany in Scotland
« on: July 25, 2009, 10:22:37 am »
Have you noticed how quiet it is today - all those big tent, poultry and meetings going on in bonnee auld scoutland today, and we have no users, no replies, no people playing word game (and we are up to a book full of pages now Annie).

Its really lonely - I'll have to tackle my BIG pile of laundry and clean the house because there is no little friends to talk to :'( :'(

Hope you all have a good day and come back tomorrow, its only 10.30am and I'm missing you all already :-*

Julie ;D

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Hogmany in Scotland
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 11:20:35 am »
I am still here, been getting ready to take one of my Shetland colts to a show tomorrow. I do not expect he will do anything in the winning line, but if i manage to hold onto him and he behaves then I will be well pleased. He is only a yearling and this will be his first time out. Your subject Hogmany in Scotland took me back to my childhood. I was brought up in the small market town of Biggar in Lanarkshire. Hogmany was exciting to us children as their was a large bonfire built in the town over a period of weeks. Around 9.30pm on the 31st of January the fire would be lit by someone chosen for that year. It is a great event with most of the townfoke being their. After a while people would drift away to be in their homes for the bells but the fire could burn for a couple of days. it still goes on and there is a web site for the Biggar Bonfire.
We are having a go at hatching duck eggs and as we have enough chickens at the moment no poultry sale for me. Our next one is the rare breed sale at Thainstone Inverurie near Aberdeen in September, its always worth a look. My two large black pigs will be going soon and I know I will find it hard but all my OH can talk about is buying a bigger freezer which I know we will need with lambs to go in as well as the pigs but having looked after them every day i know all their little ways and it will be difficult. if I was you forget the laundry and enjoy your Saturday. :chook: :pig: :sheep: :&> :horse:

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 12:46:01 pm »
I was using hogmany as a word play as many of them keep hogs, and the events in scotland today are hogging many of our users ;D

I do agree though Hogmanay is wonderful!!

We lived next door to Scottish people when I was young and also in Leeds my best friend Nancy was from Dunoon, we used to start our party (in Fancy Dress) at their house on 31st at 8pm and party and drink right through to the next days lunch - then go to the pub for our lunch and more celebrations until they threw us out.

We were young then - couldn't do it now but we had some great friends and lotsa fun ;D

Nancy lives in Dunoon again now.  We nearly bought a castle in Scotland before this place, and the only thing that put me off was that it was so remote Tara would have to Radio school, and I thought the lack of friends might not be good - but do regret not going for it sometimes.

I used to go Ice Skating and Ski-ing to Aviemore with my parents and friends, loved it, worked a lot in Edinburgh on Princess Street - Xerox had offices above Austin Reed - loved woring there - especially around Christmas.
Also love Aberdeen, had friends move there too from Leeds.  I have two cousins living in Elgin and another friend living on the outer hebredies - so lots of connections with Bonnie Scotland - would love to be part of the goings on there - they all seem really nice people - not a lot of like minded people over here - the ones that are tend to be a bit too "in the system" and have different views that live near us. 

Still, we enjoy our friends and family, and always have people staying on hols etc. so busy and happy to email through here to all you lovely people in Scotland.
Well nice to talk to you Sabrina - I am halfway through the laundry pile but not made up the beds - so have to go now ;D

Julie

sandy

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 03:22:57 pm »
Hi, back from the poultry show!!!!!!!! As a B&B I thought we would be VERY busy New Year and also the locals would be noisy, well, so far for the last 2 years it has been very very quiet!!!!! I never bother celebrating as it always makes me wounder what will happen in the year to come and reflect on the things that had happened. I also did not like Hogmany when I was younger as everyone got drunk and kissed everyone and I did not like that then...I have changed my mind now I am older but knowone wants to kiss me ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 11:50:20 pm »
Glad we were all missed, thanks. I think we all had a good day out, but are back now! :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 06:30:26 pm »
Now, lets see, what else is there between now and Hogmanay.................  Hmmm......... Oh YES!  CSSA BBQ!!  And some more visits.  So lots still to do - we'll keep you all in Englandshire and elsewhere well informed! ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 06:50:02 pm »
Great to have you all back - and I also got rid of my mountain of laundry too yesterday.

and  The Suns shining - long may it last

Julie ;D ;D ;D

PS  Did you watch those weather girls Annie?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 07:04:17 pm »
Yes, great video - wish it was raining men over here! lol  Might feel able to look fro number three soon!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 08:59:41 pm »
You're a brave woman - and must have had two good ones to want a third!   ;D ;D ;D

Julie

sandy

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 10:22:22 pm »
Only just got rid of all the excess men!!! I was stuck in the kitchen today cooking and laughing very loudly, so much fun!!!! ;D ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 10:35:43 pm »
It's the fun and laughter I miss the most! Glad you had a good day, Sandy!  I have my three grandkids tomorrow for the day - so I'll be having plenty of fun and laughter!

sandy

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 10:43:10 pm »
Gained a few wrinkels today with all the laughter...One of our guests had a Birthday, so for a special day we made him move all the wood into a big 7ft woodpile, fix the extractor fan and buy new bulbs, collect slugs for the Ducks, and wash up!!!!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I think he enjoyed it!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS