Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The pigs have gone........  (Read 3558 times)

Pigglewiggle

• Joined Jan 2009
  • North Yorkshire
    • RoseCroft Rare Breeds
The pigs have gone........
« on: July 20, 2009, 02:34:14 pm »
 We took our 2 pigs to the abattoir this morning, am feeling a little weird now. Was not as bad as expected tho, they went in the trailer easy enough, with only a small detour into the raspberry patch.

I never thought I would be able to do this, ever since we got the pigs I have been dreading it. Feels strange to have sent 2 pigs to be killed, with no tears !! I expected to be a blubbering wreck, am I just heartless ??

Maybe I am cut out to be a farmer after all, hopefully have next batch of pigs lined up to collect in a couple of weeks.. can't wait.

Debbie  :pig:

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: The pigs have gone........
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 03:21:50 pm »
first of many . Now you know you can have a continuous supply of happy meat. Well done.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 05:15:40 pm »
no your not. they were got for meat so thats what they become. its always sad to see something go but be happy that they had a much better life than they would have if they were in a large commercial pig unit. look forward to your next lot and enjoy the best pork you will have had.

JL

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 10:28:38 pm »
snap just taken one of our pigs to abbatoir today for the first time as well. we had some killed on the farm last year which all went very smoothly. No stress to the pigs, no travel time but couldn't do that this time as it is to warm and to many flies. still have 2 to go but we will keep them on as bacon.
Jim

gapcap

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 07:34:33 pm »
I just had one piig and lamb killed today,2nd time for me with pigs but first for lamb,I'm much harder about it than I thought I would be,think its just in your mind set you know from the beginning what you're doing with them. I lavished love and care and belly rubs(in the pigs case) bottle fed the lamb. We had them killed here at home as we did last time,,stress free.now looking forward to a freezer full of lovely meat that I know came from animals that had a good life.

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 12:00:30 am »
Now you should not be sad.

Place a large joint of Pork or Ham in a large roaster in the oven, fat side down, an inch or two of water in the bottom, cover with foil and cook for an hour at 180 (fan oven).

Get enough small potatoes to feed however many of you there are, slice them almost through but not quite, every 6mm or so, put in a large tin and coat with olive oil, fresh rosemary sprigs finely chopped, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Place at the top of the oven.

Turn your joint, fat side up and remove the foil and continue to cook for another 40 minutes (depending on the size) at 160 degrees.

At this stage you could surround the joint with small cubed sweet potatoes, carrots and onions with garlic cloves minced and spread over the lot, and add a little more water if all has evaporated.

Use the liquid to make a gravy or sauce, thicken with cornflour and oxo, or bisto granules if desired.

When all seems cooked - enjoy the feast and thank the pigs. - A real treat ;D

Julie

gapcap

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 10:57:24 am »
Mmmmm ;D ;D

Clairie

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 04:09:40 pm »
Of course you'll feel a bit bad if you were attached to them.

The best thing you can do is make good use out of them and enjoy them now!  :love:  :yum:

JL

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 05:43:19 pm »
Just picked my pig back up from the abbatoir could resist and roasted a pork chop to test the quality. Oh man was it good. just a bit of sea salt and black pepper a splash of olive oil(not that it needed any fat) and roasted in the oven on high heat. cut it up for the kids and me to try and nearly didn't get any as it went so quick. It had a good thick layer of fat and plenty of good tender moist meat. I was going to sell some but I think we will keep it all now. maybe I will sell some of the other 2, or may be not. :pig: :yum:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 07:42:11 am »
Thats always our problem, as soon as people notice we have a pig big enough to go they order their meat, always a battle to keep enough for us.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS