Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ice Cream  (Read 5630 times)

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Ice Cream
« on: July 02, 2013, 10:54:18 am »
Not directly goats but what ice cream makers do you all use to make ice cream with your goats milk ?
Want an electric one rather than a pre freeze one
also any recipes would be great  :thumbsup:
Graham

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
Re: Ice Cream
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 12:05:04 pm »
Haven't used it yet but I have a Lakeland one. You do pre freeze but it turns electrically
Anyone got any recipes ?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 01:44:28 pm »
a Magimix   :thumbsup:  - thermos bit is in the freezer for 24h then you attach the stirrer at the top and it does it's thing. Will need an overnight defrosting so you can wash it out. I love mine!

It comes with a recipe book, but I also use HFW recipes and play around.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 02:31:42 pm »
wev just adapted this HFW recipe by adding vanilla, nuts and chocolate chips, and no melted chocolate, using 40% cream, 60% milk and plus water syrup. no heating of the milk this time which is great as i usually burn it. much easier. we have no icecream maker so are whisking it every hour or so. its in a big bowl so its freezing really quickly.
we make meringues with the eggs whites so needless to say its all going down well with the kids.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/superrichchocolateic_14295

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 03:50:49 pm »
Thanks for the replys
we where thinking something like this http://andrewjamesworldwide.com/Product.asp?Product=icecrea2
Has anyone used one ?
Graham

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 04:05:30 pm »

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 04:27:42 pm »
We just do it by hand and its no effort. Just wondering though, what are the benefits of an actual ice cream maker?
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

smithycraft

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 07:04:08 pm »
I made ice cream by hand for years, putting a bowl in the freezer and taking it out every few hours to stir it until it was fully frozen.  I found that if I made it from cream only, it didn't need constant stirring.

When I began to make if from goats milk, I often found it was full of ice crystals and not very smooth so after much thought, we decided to invest in an ice cream maker.  I bought a Gaggia Gelatiera which wasn't cheap but as far as we are concerned, worth every penny.

It's fully automatic, no freezer involved. You can easily make any kind of ice cream and it can take as little as 20 minutes before it's ready to eat.

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 07:29:24 pm »
We use this Cuisinart one. Supermarket milk only at the moment but the icecream is good and with the automatic freezing and churning no effort. The machine is very noisy though and it wasn't cheap! We have had it a few years and it will need to keep going a few more yet. With bought cream it will never pay for itself. Hope to have our own goats milk to try it on eventually.

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 07:33:43 pm »
Picture didn't post. It is the Cuisinart Professional.

Helen

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 08:01:58 pm »
I'm considering getting one at the moment but it will have to be a much cheaper one. Does anyone make ice cream with just goats' milk and no cream?

smithycraft

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 09:21:40 pm »
Yes I make ice cream with just goats milk and no cream or eggs.  I add some powdered milk.  It's more like a gelato but very nice.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 09:24:33 pm by smithycraft »

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 09:51:04 pm »
Most recipes I've looked at seem to want whipping cream (Which of coarse is the most expensive ::) ) I always thought real ice dream was made with eggs, and as goats cream is hell to get do you need dream at all as I was told the best ice cream years ago was made with goats milk?

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 10:35:53 pm »
I used to milk Anglo Nubians and the milk was extremely creamy, like Jersey. I used to skim it off for whipping or putting on our strawberries.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 03:14:10 pm »
Well we bought an Andrew James one and slowly trying all of the recipes  ::)  The Vanilla is gorgeous and the ginger is to die for . Strawberry in now  :thumbsup:
might need another freezer for ice cream  :roflanim:
Graham

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS