Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Protecting/nurturing self seeded trees  (Read 2299 times)

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
Protecting/nurturing self seeded trees
« on: July 02, 2013, 10:12:58 am »
I've found a few rowan trees on the croft, tiny we things poking their heads up above the heather. They look to have been heavily grazed in the past (lots of deer about) so I'd like to give them a bit of help.
I'm thinking about physical protection (tube? chicken wire?) and a weed mat, and perhaps some sort of fertiliser to give them a boost.
Any suggestions?

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
Re: Protecting/nurturing self seeded trees
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 09:19:05 pm »
Tube could be good. Cutting space around them would help, as long as it doesn't leave them too exposed. You could weed mat and mulch with cardboard or something but be careful as some mulches can remove nitrogen from the soil
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 09:29:52 pm »
i was told by the forestry commission that once the main stem has been eaten by deer, they wont grow very tall. the trunk will then have offshoots so will grow width ways rather than tall. alot of our trees are like this and are difficult to walk underneath without cutting back the lower branches.
in my understanding, if the tree was 5ft high when it was nibbled, then the main trunk wont grow above 5 ft. speak to the forestry commission, they are very helpful and will often come out to advise.
personally id buy some new stock and protect them with tubes and a stake.

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 08:45:38 am »
Well I was thinking that anything which has survived a few years of nibbling will probably have a decent root system in place, so if I can keep the deer away I hope it will respond fairly well.
How does a mulch remove N from the soil? I understand that bare soil loses N into the air, is it something similar?

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 03:38:59 pm »
If quickly decaying organic mulches such as fresh leaves, wood chips, and straw, are used, a considerable amount of nitrogen is taken from the soil by the micro-organisms decomposing the organic matter. This reduces the nitrogen reserves in the root zone of the growing plant. If additions of nitrogenous fertilizer aren't made regularly, a nitrogen deficiency may result.

(From http://www.aces.uiuc.edu/vista/html_pubs/mulch/MULCH.html)
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 04:16:50 pm »
Seedling Rowans can be dug up and replanted - mine were about 2 feet high when I moved here 5 years ago, they are now flourishing at 10 feet.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS