Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Showing sheep  (Read 4810 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Showing sheep
« on: July 02, 2013, 10:08:58 am »
I was tempted to put my ram lambs into a local show but found they don't have a suitable class. There are classes for local Welsh breeds and even a class for any other continental but nothing for any other British.
I was chatting to a lady in the pub about it and quite by chance it seems she is something to do with the show. The show schedule isn't out yet so she is going to ask them to put on another class.
Oh dear, if that happens it means I can't really back out now so what will I need to do?
Anyone got showing tips and also on how to prepare them for a show and do I need a white coat?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Showing sheep
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 10:32:51 am »
Our local show (Banchory) was the same but our rams owner has persuaded them to run a Northern Shorttailed breeds class for the first time, so we are dragging a couple of lambs and a ewe along to support the class, as they will only keep running it if they get entries.

But being a complete novice I wont have a clue either, have asked Mrs Ram but I'm not sure her advice will be right as I think she is planning on ensuring she wins her own cup (she's sponsoring th class too! :-DD which is fine with me :-DD)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 11:07:57 am »
Aha - Banchory eh  :innocent:    See you there  :sheep:    Anyone else going?  Do you know which breeds will be there in addition to Soay?   Should be fun  ;D
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 11:10:41 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 11:42:22 am »
Aha - Banchory eh  :innocent:    See you there  :sheep:    Anyone else going?  Do you know which breeds will be there in addition to Soay?   Should be fun  ;D

Ours and rams owners are Shetlands so they will be there too... I'm planning on coming cheerily last as our lambs are May so will look tiddly :-)) but that's fine ! And I don't have a white coat, wonder if dressing gown ok :-D

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 01:52:48 pm »
I was tempted to put my ram lambs into a local show but found they don't have a suitable class. There are classes for local Welsh breeds and even a class for any other continental but nothing for any other British.
I was chatting to a lady in the pub about it and quite by chance it seems she is something to do with the show. The show schedule isn't out yet so she is going to ask them to put on another class.
Oh dear, if that happens it means I can't really back out now so what will I need to do?
Anyone got showing tips and also on how to prepare them for a show and do I need a white coat?

You may want to contact someone from the Ryeland Society - they probably have show guidelines. I don't know if Ryelands are trimmed, but if not I would just remove all bits from their fleece, trim their feet, if they are white I would make sure that legs and face are clean (wash with  bit of washing up liquid and flannel) and any mucky bit removed from the other end.

And enquire if you do need a white coat or not, some shows do others not.

Have fun! but beware -showing is addictive! (VERY!)

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 06:13:05 pm »
Defra rules are a white coat, but not always adhered to at local shows.
White ryelands have to be trimmed properly for a Ryeland show. They need to be washed approx 2 weeks before the show to allow their fleece to spring back, then carded and trimmed. Coloureds, it is only necessary to have them tidy, face and eyes trimmed, but be warned some judges also like them to be carded and trimmed.
Google Ryeland show etiquette, there is quite a good item about it there.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 06:57:07 pm »
Thanks Karen will definitely look at google.
If they put on a class in which I can show I have a feeling that the judge may not know Ryeland show etiquette. The local farmers didn't even know what breed my sheep were  :roflanim: .
Nonetheless if I do it I would like to do it properly

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 08:32:05 pm »

A guide here that might have some useful info:

http://www.scottishsmallholdershow.co.uk/beginners-guide-to-showing-sheep/

:thumbsup:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 09:01:33 pm »
 :thumbsup: Thanks Dan

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 10:42:25 pm »
PMd you.

The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 12:15:05 am »
Just a quick note to remind exhibitors that, unlike down breeds such as the Ryeland,  Primitives, especially the Northern Short Tails, should not be bathed or brushed prior to going in the show ring.   The idea is to show them 'off the hill'.   If your sheep are dirty, bath them a good couple of weeks before the show so the fleece can recover its natural look.   I have seen NST sheep disqualified for being brushed, and for being sprayed with too much water.
The only fleece prep needed is to pick off any debris and the locks can be arranged by hand.  Obviously dirty bums, bad feet, runny eyes and so on should not be brought into the ring.
Primitives are often shown without halters, and allowed to run loose all together.  The exhibitors then have to catch them which can be great fun.  The easiest way is to have a small catching pen in one corner of the ring and move them in there so you can impress the judge with how easily handled your animal is.
It is also polite not to have sprayed your sheep against fly strike in the 3 months prior to the show, so as not to contaminate the judge's hands.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 12:16:59 am by Fleecewife »

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 07:14:11 am »
With the northern short tailed breeds, do they have to be in full fleece? As my Shetlands have been sheared for this year and now worried I can't enter them in anything...

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 09:28:57 am »
Some shows specify, for example the Royal Highland Show requires Shetlands to be in full fleece, and with Hebrideans, bred ewes must be in full fleece but tups and unbred ewes are shorn.   So check with individual shows.

When the sheep has been shorn, enough wool should have grown back to enable the judge to assess the fleece, so about an inch.  People usually plan ahead a bit and shear in plenty of time for some regrowth, or as we do hand shear or roo carefully, so the new growth is left on the sheep.  There's no point taking a bare clipped sheep.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS