Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Eeuuw pinkeye final battle (hopefully)  (Read 7843 times)

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
Eeuuw pinkeye final battle (hopefully)
« on: July 01, 2013, 11:30:02 pm »
We've had pinkeye doing the rounds on our flock of yearlings and wethers plus a couple of non lambing ewes (some 25 in all). It's been having it's own way for a good six weeks now and we and the sheep are fed up with sticking Orbenin in the eyes and Oxytetracycline in the bum. On my FIFTH tube of Orbenin and third bottle of Oxy. We tried isolation but it's almost impossible to see the beginnings of the condition in both eyes of every animal. I'm not quite sure how it's being transmitted as we aren't trough feeding. All I can guess is that an affected sheep rubs it's face on a surface and then another comes along after and rubs on the same surface. We have a central tree and three accessible sides of two buildings which we can't take out of the equation.
I say all this in the hope that you can detect it if you don't know what to look for. It starts with the tiniest of white dots in the middle of the eye, wet down either side of the nose where tears have run in an effort to wash out the irritation and then green sticky (conjunctivitis) goo in the corner of the eye which will be partially shut with the discomfort. Inside the eyelid becomes increasingly coral pink (normally the palest of pinks) and the eye surface gets a fast build up of opacity (I liken it to vaseline glass) which gives a swollen appearance.
On Weds afternoon I've got the vet coming out to give all of the worst affected sheep an injection of antibiotic directly into the inner eyelid ( now you see where the eeuuw comes from?). I do so hope it kicks it into the stratosphere.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: Eeuuw pinkeye final battle (hopefully)
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 11:45:37 pm »
Know where your coming from - doing the same rounds, checks,jabs here - some days good then down hill again - give me strength for a full round up and kill the nasty bug - good luck with yours
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 11:48:13 pm »
I'd like to say I'm glad I'm not on my own Brucklay but I wouldn't wish this on anybody. Good luck with yours too  :fc:

Alicenz

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 06:50:44 am »
Hi you two poor things  - something that im finding interesting is that you have it in your adult sheep.  For some reason the pinkeye i have come across does not infect adults - maybe it is a different bug, and this is why some people reckon the orbinan doesnt work.  Obviously there will be a number of strains of infection. 

anyway just something i had noticed. All the best of luck. :sunshine:

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 10:50:52 am »
Its gone into a second flock for me as well, but at a loss to know how it has spread, but have avoided need to get vet out to inject into eyes again, as I caught it earlier. Just hope it doesn't reoccur in the first flock.  I have resigned to it this year, what I am worried about is it reoccuring next year. Internet searches doesn't give any real hope that there is any immunity build up and one person mentioned it happening year after year.

Having spent over 6 months staring at sheeps bums I'm probably going to have to do the same to each sheep's face (over 50) to check their eyes and catch it early. At least its a prettier view....
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 04:00:45 pm »
Grief, you've done the eye injections and it still came back?  :o  Oops, no, just re-read your post. You did it in the first batch but then got pinkeye in a second batch yes?  Alicenz was surprised my older sheep got it (yearlings were youngest but one 3yr old wether). How old were your affected sheep? My experience prior to this drawn out horror was just one lamb, Dulcie as I recall who is now 3yrs old, who was treated ONLY with Orbenin for around a week and it cleared up never to show again until now when it's gone crazy through these particular sheep on a separate paddock. So glad I kept this lot separate from the ewes and lambs now as that would have been the biggest nightmare.

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 05:33:30 pm »
we got something similar i think although vet recones its just and infection after grazing very long course grass but got him to inject eyelids on worst 2 anyway one already looks better but the 2nd still seems confused the lambs got over it quick with the orbenin but these 2 3year soay ewes havent
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

BALLOCH

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 10:23:09 pm »
WE had problems with this last autumn.I find it tends to come when u buy new stock in from mart especially.Sheep can be carriers of this and not show symtoms.Also when they have had it they should be immune and not get again.Spreads more when trough feeding as the fly jumps from 1 sheep to another when in close proximaty.Yes it works out exspensive for ointment,and clears up quicker the earlier u catch it,just when u think its clearing another gets it,but it does pass.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 10:41:39 pm »
I've got it too, the lambs badly, the occasional ewe a bit.
Haven't bought any stock in.

I'm using Tetroxy LA (because I had some, but also the vet said last year it was good for eyes - or was that mastitis - maybe both!) Anyway, it seems to clear it up fast, though the occasional lamb has had a second bout.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 11:09:21 pm »
Bleurgh! It was horrible seeing the needles go in but vet was fabulous and did them ALL rather than risk missing someone in progress with it. The biggest boys were the woosiest  ::)  They were very good considering and it obviously hurt the ones with an advanced case of pinkeye more. Also got a terramycin injection each. So pleased that we don't have to do treatment anymore especially as OH is on his own for next few days as I visit relatives.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 12:39:16 am »
Poor Felicity has got it in both eyes.  Its horrible to see them with it. Thankfully, with getting Felicity indoors immediately I noticed it in one eye, the others seem ok (up to now).  I am terrified of the soays getting it .....they are not the easiest thing to catch, for treatment.

Anyway, I have struggled with ointment in Felicitys eyes, and saline wash.  Can see a little imrovement today, and she is wanting to go out to her friends.  Have put the goat ark she is in, facing the field, so the other two can come right up to the fence, and say hello.

Really hope once this goes away, it does not return.

Alicenz

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 03:54:02 am »
Pedwardine thats great it is done, great the vet was sensible, and means your OH can relax for the next few days :) it must have been full on though. Poor things anything to do with the eyes is yuk sore irritating... so lets hope it does the trick.   Where were they injected right into the eye?  euugh.I wonder as most of you seem to have only had it in lambs previously as well if this is perhaps a much stronger bacteria than in the past? I  might ask my vet next time im with him.

Good Luck to you all!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 09:16:14 am »
Mairi, get the eye injections done on all of them if you can. Lisa, it was in the eyelids but just as gross!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 10:57:58 am »
Just thinking about the eye injections made me go all funny .....but suppose if it does the trick, then it has to be done.  I doubt we could do such a thing with the soay sheep - thats if we could even catch them.  And I also doubt my OH would have another vet visit for any of my livestock, after the hefty donkey vet bill I have just paid......He has done nothing but grumble at having to help hold a squirming Felicity - who is very good I might add - and realises we are doing it to help her.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 11:51:16 am »
Oh goodness, no I didn't mean the Soays too (vet said "Why would anyone have Soays?"  ;D ). Just meant the three girls to avoid chance of it spreading.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS