Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ram lamb with split testicals  (Read 4893 times)

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
Ram lamb with split testicals
« on: June 30, 2013, 07:37:14 pm »
A late born lamb I was checking them all today he has split testicles? One each side he is destined for the freezer so doesn't matter if he is no good for breeding he is growing really fast so nothing else wrong with him

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Ram lamb with split testicals
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 11:50:58 pm »
A late born lamb I was checking them all today he has split testicles? One each side he is destined for the freezer so doesn't matter if he is no good for breeding he is growing really fast so nothing else wrong with him

We had a Shetland tup lamb like that years ago.  The vet insisted he was a hermaphrodite, but you could see that he was all male but just with the urethra and scrotum split, so urine dribbled out.  The dribbling was actually the only problem as he did stink and had to be kept clean.  I suppose there would be a greater risk of urinary tract infections, but you should be able to get him to slaughter weight perfectly well.  We found we were unable to put a castration ring on ours, so in theory he could have been fertile, so we weaned him at 4 months and kept him away from any females from that point on, as we had no idea if the condition is heritable.

As well as several tasty dinners, he gave us a very cute sheepskin  :sheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 10:20:59 am »
That's what I thought cause he/she looks all weird around that area I think I'll either fatten him or sell as a pet

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 11:55:45 am »
Very stinky pet but it doesn't affect the taste  :yum:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 12:45:15 pm »
RARE but it happens, had one this year only the 2nd iv'e ever seen, managed to ring as only the scotal sac was divided . Even rarer iv'e nver seen, had 2 lambs no testicle's at all just an empty sac , different fathers??

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS