Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: little miss droopy comb  (Read 3287 times)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
little miss droopy comb
« on: July 02, 2013, 08:00:47 am »
This is one of my ex "welfare enriched",  she came looking nekkid and is now more feathered than the rest.  She sleeps separately because there is a dominant hen who bullies her, she wanders around with the rest of them all day though.. 

As well as layers pellet, and now poultry spice, following a recommendation on here, she has a boiled egg, a tomato and some porridge with honey water and sultanas...

I can't seem to get her comb to go up.... most stupid question ever coming up.... is it possible to have a broken comb? 

I was also wondering whether it was the effort of growing back a whole wardrobe of feathers?

She is the only one with a drooping comb, no mites or worms, lovely looking poos  (look what I've become!?)

Any thoughts

Fanackapan

• Joined Jun 2013
    • Facebook
Re: little miss droopy comb
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 09:01:17 am »
It may just be the last bit of effort needed to become a true'princess'  :roflanim:
If all other signs are good, maybe not to worry too much - I take her comb looks a normal colour , no blue/purple tinge to it ?
Try a bit of extra protein , when mine need a boost its live white maggots or tuna/sardine through the food (not tuna in brine too salty)
Never heard of a broken comb, maybe nerve endings damaged - haven't a clue really sorry

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 07:42:39 pm »
Don't forget that most battery hens were originally a pick'n'mix selection of established native breeds  and those genetics can surface many generations down the line.  One of the rare breeds we keep is the Dorking and the hens' combs always flop.

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 09:45:18 pm »
she's nice and red and active.  None of the hens have much weight on them.  I  have 4 sussex and when I pick them up,  I do go all cartoony and imagine them in the oven, these ex bats do seem like Tesco value!  They all have full crops when they go to bed, but just don't seem very big.  They are lovely and everything, but they wouldn't feed six....

Anyway back to "oven ready", she's spoilt and nothing else is wrong with her so I've decided to stop worrying about her comb, at least it identifies her from the others!

Fanackapan

• Joined Jun 2013
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 10:05:39 pm »
she's nice and red and active.  None of the hens have much weight on them.  I  have 4 sussex and when I pick them up,  I do go all cartoony and imagine them in the oven, these ex bats do seem like Tesco value!  They all have full crops when they go to bed, but just don't seem very big.  They are lovely and everything, but they wouldn't feed six....

Anyway back to "oven ready", she's spoilt and nothing else is wrong with her so I've decided to stop worrying about her comb, at least it identifies her from the others!

And that to me sounds like a sensible plan  :thumbsup:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 10:09:18 pm »
weight wise - remember she was bred to lay and put all her energy into her eggs, not meat. i doubt she'll ever get meaty. glad shes happy with you now.  :wave:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 07:28:22 am »
Sounds like my hybrids. Not enough meat to feed even a rat but  great egg layers. (My black rock is twice the weight and size but a sparse egg layer in comparison ). One of the hybrids had a floppy comb once she was fully grown, it didn't affect her egg production. She layed non stop for almost 3 years but it took it's toll and we lost her to egg peritonitis  :'(
As long as she is looking happy and healthy I'd just accept it as her mix of breeding.  :love:  :chook:  :love:

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 07:45:32 am »
The combs of ex-batts are often "over-sized" to start with. Their way of allowing heat to escape from their bodies in the batteries which are often too hot. All of ours had noticeably large combs which did shrink over time. Perhaps something to do with that.

We have a hybrid Bluebell hen with a floppy comb. She has always been like that and is well and lays as normal. Just "her" I suppose.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 10:52:40 am »
I have two young (About a year I think) white leghorns.  Both are very healthy, lay every day, and have bright red combs.  One is floppy the other stands straight up.  I don't see it as a problem.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS