Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How to clean ground outside hen houses  (Read 2626 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
How to clean ground outside hen houses
« on: July 01, 2013, 01:03:07 pm »
I have a large penned area where I have approx 4 hen houses sited. Originally they all opened into the field so hens went straight out but now I have a big shed that houses most if my hens. They tend to stay in the penned area and only some venture into the paddock so the ground is quite poached and covered in poo.

Is there any way to cleanse this as I am worried about disease. It's dry at moment but no grass just dirt. It's not practical to move house.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
Re: How to clean ground outside hen houses
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 02:18:15 pm »
Stalosan F-or you could lime it if you can keep them off it until well rained in. I have one permanent pen and worm regularly and use Stalosan regularly, seems to work. I do move them out onto grass for the summer and lime it -then dig it over.

Fanackapan

• Joined Jun 2013
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 04:25:25 pm »
I would rake the top off and put a layer of woodchip down ( many tree surgeons will supply virtually FOC saves them the bother of taking to a dump and paying). Gives the hens a good scratch around place looking for creepies. Stalosan is a good product, keeps odours too.

Torrin37

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 05:13:09 pm »
Another vote for Stalosan - so easy just sprinkle around and you don't have to keep the hens off. They'll love some woodchip to scratch around in but you might have to rake it off and replace it after a while

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 07:17:02 pm »
What is the ground?

When mine were in a big run, part was paving slabs (hose down), part was soil. I used to dig over the soil every week - good exercise for me and it made the chooks very happy hunting for worms.

Stalosan and lime are both good options for keeping it sweet.

Fanackapan

• Joined Jun 2013
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 08:14:25 pm »
I would rake the top off and put a layer of woodchip down ( many tree surgeons will supply virtually FOC saves them the bother of taking to a dump and paying). Gives the hens a good scratch around place looking for creepies. Stalosan is a good product, keeps odours too.
[/quote

HAHA I missed a word out I meant to say Stalosan keeps odours DOWN

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 08:33:56 pm »
ours was overstocked and got sour. its been resting a year and now looks fine.
iv seen rubber chips or pea gravel used which are hosed down thoroughly.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 10:29:27 pm »
Where do I get stalls an from? I have something called Staldren F but not sure it can be used outside. I might try woodchip once goats get too big to crawl through the chicken house!

Fanackapan

• Joined Jun 2013
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 10:58:31 pm »
Stalosan can be bought from some equestrian suppliers as its used to keep stable yards fresh too, otherwise of the 'net -think I got it from ebay

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS