Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fergie te20 - attaching the topper!  (Read 16972 times)

Drummournie

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cawdor - Nairnshire
Fergie te20 - attaching the topper!
« on: June 29, 2013, 10:25:39 pm »
All you fans of old tractors will know the next bit but I didn't sobered how my day panned out!

Tried to attach my flemming  topper to the te20 and found that the pto shaft is 1 1/8" and I needed an adaptor go up to 1 3/8". Frantic searching found one locally but it needs a roll pin or something to hold the adaptor on the pto shaft of the tractor, anyone know what size I need and how to drive it into the adaptor / shaft? I am a bit lost!

Gt some of the grass cut but the pto shaft kept com g off and I lost the will to live!!!

Julestools

• Joined Mar 2013
  • In my shed
Re: Fergie te20 - attaching the topper!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 12:26:39 am »
I replaced the output shaft on my fergy with a 1 3/8" shaft.... not a difficult job but the new shaft was over £70. Worth it in the long term though if you intend doing much PTO work. The alternative is to change the yoke on the PTO shaft of the topper but 1 1/8 yokes are not common these days

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 07:37:19 am »
You can see a picture of the roll pin, or drive pin you need, go on ebay and search 'ferguson pto adaptor' .

You just knock them in with a hammer.

Your local garage or agricultural mechanics will have them, you might have to cut to the right length.

Also worth considering is replacing shaft to the bigger size as mentioned above,  and or an overrun or freewheeling adaptor,  stops the momentum of the implement pushing the tractor forward as you slow down.

Hope this helps

Regards stu

Drummournie

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cawdor - Nairnshire
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 06:46:09 pm »
Thanks guys that does help, I noticed the overrun push yesterday, bit scary.

My one question if I go for the new shaft is it a slide out and then slide back in job? I don't fancy opening the tractor gearbox up you see!

Thanks

GC

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 06:53:10 pm »
Yes it's simple, have to drain the gearbox oil first though.

If your going to get a free wheel adaptor, there's probably no point in changing the shaft, especially if all you use on the pto is the topper.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 07:03:26 pm by stufe35 »

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 10:16:03 pm »
Gt some of the grass cut but the pto shaft kept com g off and I lost the will to live!!!
You could have lost more than the will to live! Farmers are killed by pto shafts every year you really shouldn't operate an implement with a shaft that isn't fitted properly.

Drummournie

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cawdor - Nairnshire
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 11:42:32 pm »
Yep gotcha Hughesy I think it was the degree of peril that put me off from continuing.

The shaft has its telescoping outer cover attached, safety chain etc. Will ensure its correct length and cant come off when I get my adaptor fitted.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 08:03:45 am »
I know we all take shortcuts and do some silly things and we all get away with it most of the time. It only has to go wrong once though.

Drummournie

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cawdor - Nairnshire
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 07:32:00 pm »
Yup, learning from others is the best way for me, appreciate your help. Shaft is now shortened and the new adaptor on, finished the topping and shaft is secure as anything, no danger of it coming off unintentionally now.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 08:45:44 pm »
Have you got a free wheel adaptor ?  I'm interested to know how good/effective they are, as I have a finishing mower which in many respects it would be handier on my t20. 

Cheers stu

ChickenLiver George

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 10:23:11 am »
We've bought Fergie adaptors and a pto Over Run Clutch for the topper from these people http://www.classicnuts.com

Good price, excellent 'next day' postage and a good range of smallholder type tractor bits that we need from time to time. Grease nipples in small quantities too

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 03:49:15 pm »
Are they effective ?  I've never used one and would like to know before departing with £60 of my hard earned drinking vouchers.

Cheers stu

crofter 65

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Wester Ross
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 07:21:49 pm »
I have used the over run clutch very successfully on my Fordson Super Dexta, it stops my topper driving the tractor, this happens because the tractor has a single stage clutch like the Fergie.   

Drummournie

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cawdor - Nairnshire
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 05:36:18 pm »
I don't see an overrun clutch on the eBay store, is it a good unit?, pricey?

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2013, 07:47:55 am »
Search pto overrun,  there are about 6 listed.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS