Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A heat wave round the corner  (Read 11662 times)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Re: A heat wave round the corner
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2013, 06:30:49 pm »
Your right again VF  ;D  everyone buying up bbq coals and beer in the supermarkets today, fab day hope it last all week  8)   :sunshine:   8)
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2013, 07:11:49 pm »
It does usually get a bit hot down here but this year has been below the norm until now. At last the lawn is dead and I do not have to cut it !! it's a bit warm to work but but I'd rather lug water bottles around than cut the soddin lawn !! hate it. Pigs were in their mud bath at 09:30 but the stream is still flowing so no worries on keeping them cool.  Tops of my ears are burnt but he ho.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2013, 03:36:56 pm »
Don't want toworry you, MAK but a friend of ours has just had a melanoma removed from the top of his ear. I suspect it's a place people don't think to protect when using sun screen.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2013, 04:25:12 pm »
Don't want toworry you, MAK but a friend of ours has just had a melanoma removed from the top of his ear. I suspect it's a place people don't think to protect when using sun screen.

According to what I've read, most melanoma occur on parts of the body that never see the sun - so sunscreen would seem to be unlikely to protect against them.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2013, 09:20:15 am »
That's about all of me then.  Even my eyes are having trouble with the brightness  :sunshine: wearing shades all the time just now  8)

It's BOILING here.  I can't stay out in the sun for long at all but not complaining, just wish we'd got all our veggie patches and polytunnel sorted out this year.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS