Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How much for your childs school trip?  (Read 14581 times)

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: How much for your childs school trip?
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2013, 01:12:05 pm »
We only got to go on the language exchange type ones, never on the ski trips or cruises. Parents could afford to and I did feel upset when my friends were going but they thought that jollies shouldn't be school trips, only educational things. Wouldn't mind but they never took me skiing or on a cruise in the holidays either :-DDDD

But the exchange ones were much cheaper cos you stayed with families, surely that would bring the cost down and be more educational?

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2013, 01:45:21 pm »

But the exchange ones were much cheaper cos you stayed with families, surely that would bring the cost down and be more educational?

In my view, the only way to learn about a different culture, and improve language skills!

Probably too difficult to organise, though.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2013, 01:52:09 pm »
For a few weeks I have been thinking about a booking request for an exchange holiday, the women wanted me to take some, no idea  how many, 14 year olds that were coming to the country on an educational trip, I said no almost straight away without much thought as we are full anyway, then, when I put the phone down I gave it some thought....now myself and my husband are CRB checked due to working with vulnerable people and children, we have them done as often as required BUT...we are a B&B and our guests are more often that not male and could be cereal child molesters for all I know :fc: , they are never a problem but if the house was full of 14 year olds, I certainly would worry.......then it occurred to me about abused children, wonder if any exchange students suffer at the hands of abusive families etc.....sorry to re steer the direction of the thread, I did think about posting it before, after my phone call........all sorts went through my head, may be my social work and youth work back ground :innocent:

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2013, 02:04:04 pm »
The way I know these trips, classes are "twinned" with another class in another country; similar in age etc. So that way each student stays with another student of that class. The kids would have been in contact for some time before the trip, as what we called pen friends - facebook friends these days! Some families may not be able to take on a student, others will be able to take two or three; but hardly anybody would be outside the confines of the class. Those families are known to the partner school. I think there would be a very small chance that anything criminal might happen. Nothing is 100% secure, of course.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2013, 02:08:36 pm »
That was my view but the idea of putting them up in our B&B made me worry. Last night I saw the sentenced men who had been using very young girls in the sex trade, I did have knowledge of similar in my time in child  protection, one of the girls was gang raped and had been to a guest house with different men 50 times, now we are very picky on who we have and no way would I have a  young underage girl here share a room with any man!

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2013, 02:12:56 pm »
The way I know these trips, classes are "twinned" with another class in another country; similar in age etc. So that way each student stays with another student of that class. The kids would have been in contact for some time before the trip, as what we called pen friends - facebook friends these days! Some families may not be able to take on a student, others will be able to take two or three; but hardly anybody would be outside the confines of the class. Those families are known to the partner school. I think there would be a very small chance that anything criminal might happen. Nothing is 100% secure, of course.

That's right, and in our case the town we go to is our towns official twin town, so there are already links in place.  You stayed with a pupil of the same age and sex: so while there might be a tiny risk of abuse, in reality when looking at 14 year olds for eg you might hope that that sort of thing might already have come to light re the family's own child.

No way would any one be sharing a room with anyone of the opposite sex or big age gap.

However the school trip we did to France at age 11, so younger, we stayed in a spartan hotel near Calais and were 2 or 3 to a room.All girls, all same age,

TheGirlsMum

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2013, 02:20:17 pm »
My eldest is going to the WW1 war graves next month, only for 2 days so a lot of travelling but this is one trip I knew I had to find the money for.

Both my girls are in the Guides and their camps only cost £40 each for a whole week, they have a great time, learn loads and come home much better people.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2013, 02:48:43 pm »

In my view, the only way to learn about a different culture, and improve language skills!

Probably too difficult to organise, though.

my son doesnt even study french !
i remember the  french exchange as kids but i never went as i was too shy.
my school trips were staying in hostels and lighthouses (portland bill) in britain, its a shame there isnt an alternatve, ie scotland or abroad - as aviemore isnt far away from us but its a different world. there is loads to do on our doorstep.
my son says he is fed up with being poor  :innocent: - but £800 could pay for a really decent holiday for the whole family.

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2013, 03:04:28 pm »
Lachlanandmarcus the hotel you stayed in wasn't at Wissant nr Calais was it, that is where we went as 11 year olds.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2013, 03:05:33 pm »
On a slightly different note, without wanting to worry anyone..many years ago, my daughter went on a school trip to Blackpool for a week. Near the end of the holiday, I had a phone call from her one night in tears because she was being picked on. I told her that I wanted to speak to one of the teachers but she said that all the teachers went in the bar in the evenings leaving the kids to see to themselves. I rang where they were staying (a holiday camp) and asked them to leave a message for one of the teachers and that it was vitally important......I never heard back.
When they got back from their trip, I went to meet Em from the coach and gave her friend a lift home too. I was then informed that during the day, the kids were taken to the rides etc in Blackpool and left on their own to do as they pleased for hours at a time. Now, these kids were only 13 at the time, girls and boys. Who knows who else prowling the area those days looking for vulnerable teenagers to abduct.
Needless to say, the following day, I was up at the school in front of the head teacher making a formal complaint against the teachers concerned. I understand that they were reprimanded and never allowed to go on school trips again. I wonder what else I could have done.
So, make sure when you sign that piece of paper, that your child is going to be properly supervised throughout the trip, and that you are always going to be able to contact them should it become necessary.

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2013, 03:26:59 pm »
I'm still bitter about spending £800 about 5 yrs ago for my daughter to go skiing, never got over it, really upset when they brought her back, I thought for £800 they'd keep her there, thought that was what I was paying for, since then she's cost me considerably more than £800, my advice would be to check the fine print, I should've, to avoid disappointment

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2013, 03:34:54 pm »
I'm still bitter about spending £800 about 5 yrs ago for my daughter to go skiing, never got over it, really upset when they brought her back, I thought for £800 they'd keep her there, thought that was what I was paying for, since then she's cost me considerably more than £800, my advice would be to check the fine print, I should've, to avoid disappointment

now that would be a wise investment  :roflanim:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2013, 04:14:27 pm »
'm still bitter about spending £800 about 5 yrs ago for my daughter to go skiing, never got over it, really upset when they brought her back, I thought for £800 they'd keep her there, thought that was what I was paying for, since then she's cost me considerably more than £800, my advice would be to check the fine print, I should've, to avoid disappointmentI
:roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

I used to love taking young people on residential trips and went off at least 4 x's a year, mostly in England with once a year sun sport holiday to the S of France, but always had my job in mind, we used to take it in turn, and depending on how many teachers -children, half would have the night shift roaming around checking on the pupils etc, while the other half of staff were allowed a little break,we could go to bed but were on call and not supposed to turn in or drink until it was safe, I never drank as people often think I am drunk anyway :innocent:  During the day is was full on with all the pupils, never a break, me being who I am, ended up like a mum to them all, tears, tantrums and tiarias!!! I did have lots of fun though and loved it, I remember catching one lad crawling in to my daughters tent...they were over 16 but still ::)    The stories I could tell  :eyelashes:  and the stories I did tell :innocent:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2013, 04:15:17 pm »
I think schools need to join the real world and stop expecting parents to fork out for these expensive trips. Lots of parents struggle just to pay every day bills and cannot afford family holidays never mind £800 for a school trip. Its a disgrace.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2013, 06:55:01 pm »
I had to complain to my children's primary school some years ago because they would organise educational trips and then send a letter home saying we are taking the children to ....... next Friday and need (say) £8 per child by next Monday. At that time we were very, very skint as our craft business was not doing well and had three children at the school. £24 (or whatever the total was) was often my week's entire food money. I said they should give us more notice and let us pay in instalments. They did start giving about three weeks' notice but still wanted the money in one go. When the entire school (around 20 kids) is going, it's nigh on impossible to tell your children that they can't go, especially when you know there are certain boys in the school who will give them a hard time about it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS