Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pig biting  (Read 4474 times)

Cjnewton82

• Joined Nov 2012
pig biting
« on: June 27, 2013, 10:18:47 pm »
one of my 4 month old pigs has just started nipping what is the best way to stop this? i have to say rightly or wrongly i shouted no and smacked him on the nose

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: pig biting
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 10:21:45 pm »
Just to clarify Cj - is he nipping the other weaners or humans?
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Cjnewton82

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 10:29:23 pm »
  sorry  :dunce:  me!!! its only a nip really
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 10:30:54 pm by Cjnewton82 »

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 10:36:06 pm »
Then your initial response is the right one. A sharp tap on the snout and a loud and firm "no". They don't mean any harm by it, it is more of an exploratory thing. But they do need to learn that it is wrong. It will take a few sessions of "teaching" before they fully understand, but it does work.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 10:40:20 pm »
Your reaction was fine, we do the same as some of them need to be trained to learn not to bite us, even if they only bite as part of their play. We're just too fragile for their kind of teeth and jaws  ;)

:wave:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 10:42:03 pm »
Definitely need to "nip it in the bud" - sorry couldn't resist that one  :roflanim:

Seriously though, he needs to be told-off - a short tap on the nose & a firm "NO" should do it.  Has anyone been hand feeding or feeding him outside feed-time,  as this can be a cause of nipping?   Difficult not to give them treats when they're still at the "cute" stage, but it can start behaviour that's certainly not welcome as they get bigger!

Oh ... & check you haven't got anything that smells edible in your pockets - they can be drawn to the forgotten about dog treat too  :eyelashes:
 :love: :pig: :love:

Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 09:10:51 am »
if it doesn't stop, nip him and put him in the freezer. :farmer:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 01:37:09 pm »
I agree about never hand-feeding pigs.   Everything gets thrown into the run so food = floor. 

David @ Hector Blooms

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 04:15:45 am »
When I first went to look at my weaners at Fowgill Farm they loved to bite wellies but have only done this twice since I've had them, so that's an average of once a month, "give over" was my response.  Strangely, they understood :)

BlackBoab

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 07:34:34 am »
Weaners have that tendancy as a group, it is playing to them . regards bb

Button End Beasts

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Harston, Cambridgeshire
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2013, 07:50:42 am »
Yes, I go and sit in with the weaners each morning before work, to make sure they will be really friendly, and I have this whole group of piglets swarming over me, biting at my wellies, pulling on my overalls, climbing up me. They even managed to get into the pockets of the overalls and next thing I know,  my nice clean work shirt is all muddy. So guess its time to start getting them off the nipping behaviour........

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS