Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Update since moving  (Read 3415 times)

WhiteHorses

• Joined Apr 2013
  • West Lothian, Scotland
Update since moving
« on: June 26, 2013, 03:57:08 pm »
Since we moved to our new house with nearly 6 acres in West Lothian on 14th May life has been a bit of a roller-coaster!

Bordador, my new horse, a Spanish stallion arrived a day earlier than expected, the day before the stables. Fortunately he was quite happy to stay out alone eating grass. He is incredibly laid back and the transporter said he'd never met a stallion so quiet and unbothered by other horses. Took him for a ride to the top of the crofts to retrieve our bin the first morning and apart from an inability to stand still he was excellent!

The stables were duely delivered and constructed very quickly the next day and that was the point at which life stopped going to plan. I hung around for the rest of the day waiting for a delivery of Liverpool  wood pellets for horse bedding which should have come the previous day and didn't arrive, until very late, so my other Spanish horse, Neon, had to stay at his old livery yard .
That evening the shower literally came apart in my hand with water gushing everywhere,  :'( so Friday morning necessitated awaiting the services of an emergency plumber before setting off to get Neon and hay. Being short of time I managed to get 5 bales in the (single) trailer with Neon. :innocent:

All trundled along smoothly until early the next week when it rained and Mr B came in with both front shoes bent and hanging off one side, probably due to the nastly deep wet soil . I couldn't get them off and it was 10 pm by then so both boys spent the next 2 days in until the lovely new farrier could come out and rescue us. Once unshod B was very footsore on hard surfaces and I felt terrible about breaking him so quickly. Somewhere during this time I trod on the porch door ledge and it proved completely rotten and fell off taking the sliding door with it!

The following weekend the car broke down and was eventually diagnosed as having broken its timing chain. Even with a contribution from BMW the bill to get it repaired was huge! :(
But with the help of hire cars and vans we carried on meantime and finally got the last of the furniture moved from Edinburgh. Plus I had a good lesson on Neon in the borrowed arena on the crofts and the girls up there have proved lovely as have our new neighbours.

My wonderful Dad came up for a week and fixed 101 house problems including the porch which helped hugely.

To add to the other problems I have had a health problem for which the treatment has made me exhausted and I'm not allowed to ride until this episode is over.

The field has come out in a sea of buttercups and no exaggeration I think it is 70% buttercups 30% grass of which maybe a quarter is marsh grass.
Despite asking everybody including lovely neighbours  and paddock care professionals, I have had no joy getting it topped and it needs topping, rolling and harrowing and probably spraying. Looks like we will be buying a tractor sometime soon. Oh and the midges are out with a vengeance!

But despite all that I'm really happy with my 2 beautiful boys, who get on fine. Neon (the gelding) is in charge and being a bully when I'm about.
They haven't been ridden enough but have been very good when they are. The cat has also settled in well and is busy annihilating the local small furry population. My parents are up again with their and my own collies so more jobs are getting done ans I have dogs to cuddle. :-)

I haven't started on plans for a veg garden, sheep or anything else that was planned. Next tasks are to sort field drainage, cost and put in planning for stables and arena, which West Lothian planning department are being very helpful about, sort field and get the horses and me fit. I still have a load of unpacking to do too!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Update since moving
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 05:08:35 pm »
Sounds like fun  :innocent:

Pics of the ponies would be good  :)

Is your property part of the West Lothian lowland croft project thingy?

« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 05:10:48 pm by Rosemary »

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 05:33:49 pm »
Yep, we definitely need pony pics  :eyelashes:

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 06:13:40 pm »
Agreed  :horse: :horse:
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 06:54:42 pm »
 :thumbsup: , not going toooo  badly I suppose, at least the horses appear  happy and so do you!! I love to see photos!!

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 07:43:02 pm »
it sounds a lot of fun  :roflanim: at least one day you will look back and have a good laugh... hope you have a speedy recovery and things start to settle to a routine, if there is such a thing

WhiteHorses

• Joined Apr 2013
  • West Lothian, Scotland
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 10:06:48 pm »

Yes it is on one of the West Lothianlowland croft schemes.

As requested some photos  :D

House from the back with the collies:

Driveway with the temporary stables:

Artemis the cat on the roof:

Buttercup infested field:

The two horses, Neon is the one on the right, Bordador (Bobbin) on the left:

Bordador - the new stallion:

Finally a couple of years old, but nice photo of Neon just because  :)

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 10:29:00 pm »
Wow, thanks, what a wonderful view and place to live, thanks :thumbsup:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 10:48:14 pm »
Love your house and horses.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 10:56:50 pm »
Beautiful horses and your place looks great.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 01:21:49 pm »
Beautiful horses, and your croft looks very nice.

Do hope things go smoothly for you from now on.  Sounds like you had more than your share of problems in your new home, but we get up, dust ourselves down, and carry on, and look forward to tomorrow .....which must be better, we hope :)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 05:14:48 pm »
Is there not some condition on the "croft" being used for food production rather than equestrian use?

WhiteHorses

• Joined Apr 2013
  • West Lothian, Scotland
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 08:17:32 pm »
Fortunately no there's no problem with equestrian use :)
The West Lothian lowland crofting scheme's aims is to regenerate poorer areas and reuse un-viable small farms with poor land, by converting them into a number of "crofts" for purchase by people who want a country lifestyle. The scheme guidance specifically mentions equestrian as a suitable use along with running a small business from a home office, hobby poultry/livestock keeping, growing veg, craft workshops, etc. It says that as the land is poor quality it is unlikely to sustain a financially successful agricultural/horticultural or market garden business unless something very niche.

Most of our neighbours just have big gardens and maybe some veg. 2 have chickens and one has piglets too and one property used to run a livery yard but it's now rented privately to two ladies.

Orinoco

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 10:38:27 pm »
Your horses are beautiful and i can sympathise with your catalogue of problems since you moved in, we also have had more than our fair share since moving, the latest is, just as we thought we could throw some money at the holiday lets to take them to the next stage we are told our grannery roof is rotten and instead of just changing the tiles we have to find a big chunk of money to change all the wood.  Still love the place though especially when the sun shines and the birds sing, and i have my faithful bucket of sand to bury my head in when needed.

I am still at the dreaming of horses stage, and would love 2 that look like yours, just need to get my experience and fitness back up.

Glad you are getting there, i was advised by a wise member to regularly stop and smell the roses, and enjoy each stage.

Enjoy

K

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS