Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: perished/cracked tractor tyre  (Read 5263 times)

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
perished/cracked tractor tyre
« on: June 26, 2013, 01:05:05 pm »
Hi all- I have seen an MF135 tractor for sale with perished/cracked rear tyres (but with still about 50% tread). Would I be looking to replace them or could they still be OK for years? I am thinking about safety- a blow out is not a good thing I guess?

cheers

Still playing with tractors

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
  • You can never have enough HP
Re: perished/cracked tractor tyre
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 01:26:11 pm »
I suppose it all depends what speed you are going to be doing and in a 135 not a lot (sorry) if they hold air its probably worth trying them, but it will depend a lot if you have a lot of weight on the back, ie more pressure put on the tyres. If your not going on the road and only in fields you could get away with it, but keep any eye on the sidewalls, If in doubt DON'T DO IT and change them.

What are you going to use the tractor for?

Cheers
Alasdair

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 01:28:41 pm »
Hi Alasdair- I will be topping, baling, mowing. But also going on the road occasionally. I think new tyres are in order!
cheers

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 01:31:09 pm »
Yup Road = new tyres good choice.

Shop around and look at some of the vintage tractor magazines for good deals

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 02:37:02 pm »
If you've not bought any for a while, you're in for a bit of a shock. I could do with a couple of new tyres on the back of my Grey Fergi, but until I can afford to buy some, I'm driving on slicks. :fc:

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 06:41:15 pm »
In 1978 my dad bought a knackerd old grey fergie for our smallholding, I was 11 at the time. I remember looking at the tyres and thinking, they won't last long, there was hardly any tread.  It would be 25 years before it happened. In 2003 the old girl became mine, I did her up and finally she got her new tyres, incredibly it seems that was ten years ago . Now I've got my own small holding and the tyres still look brand new. The tractor works hard as ever, it's now 57 years old.

Get an experienced opinion based on actually seeing the tractor before splashing out on your tyres is what I'm trying to say.

JEP

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 01:16:55 pm »
cheap but really good tyres buy them from www.bigtyres.co.uk as they have good service and I always use them 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS