Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Trailer for Pigs  (Read 3364 times)

Raine

• Joined May 2011
  • Lincoln
Trailer for Pigs
« on: June 26, 2013, 12:07:15 pm »
 :wave:

On collecting our three weaners, we were told that our trailer was too small to take the pigs to slaughter.  The trailer isn't ours, so not a problem.  What I need to know now is what size trailer I need.  We are looking at multi purpose (removable top and maybe fold down sides) and need to be unbraked.
They seem to range from 6' x 4' upwards.
I have been looking at Graham Edwards Trailers and CLH types.
We also have 7 mountain sheep, so quite small size that we may need to transport.

Any advice appreciated.

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
Re: Trailer for Pigs
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 01:38:31 pm »
We have an aluminium roll top calf trailer which is 6ft by 4ft which has proven to be ideal for moving pigs, goats and goodness knows what else. Its not too heavy for manouvering around the place by hand when necessary and it rides very well. We bought it shortly after we got married and its done sterling work ever since. That would be 34 years ago. ::)

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 04:44:37 pm »
Ivor William P6e or P7e ?  doesn't have drop sides though, but you can take the lid off.  Light enough to manouver by hand.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 05:03:42 pm »
We have a P6e and its very good and as foobar has said light enough to manouver by hand
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 07:28:33 pm »
I use a p6e for abattoir moves. 
I also have weld mesh sides that replace the top, so 3 trailers (livestock, flatbed (ish) and sides)  in one
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

ferretkeeper

• Joined May 2013
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Brecon View Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 10:53:35 pm »
I've got a 6x4 trailer too, from CLH, that easily accommodated 5 finished pigs last Xmas, and when I got my 5 shetland sheep there was loads of room, well enough for a couple more sheep, or if they were shorn 10 would have fitted in ok!

Didn't know there were specific sizes though...

Having recently been told off at the abattoir by a woman with a clip board for not having loading gates on, I took the trailer back to the manufacturer and asked them to make a couple of modifications - I explained they weren't safe to leave on. So the loading gate hinges are now drilled and split pins hold the gates in place so snouts can't hoik them off during the journey and break a leg!

I also have a mesh partition that makes a second separate compartment. I asked for a set of hinges to be added at the back of the trailer to hang the partition from so that the ramp could be lowered, the loading gates opened and the animals would still be restrained. Hinges again drilled with split pins. The ramp had a nasty habit of pinging open when we went over a bump, ok going to the tip but not good on the M4 going to the abattoir! 
breconviewfarm.co.uk Rare breed, free range.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 07:54:01 am »
Legally there must be sufficient space for each pig to sit or stand.
To quote EU 1/2005
"All pigs must at least be able to lie down and stand up in their natural position.
In order to comply with these minimum requirements, the loading density for pigs of around 100 kg should not exceed 235 kg/m2.
The breed, size and physical condition of the pigs may mean that the minimum required surface area given above has to be increased; a maximum increase of 20 % may also be required depending on the meteorological conditions and the journey time."

Loading gates are described in the EU regs as "lateral Protections" - ie
"In particular, surfaces shall not be slippery and lateral protections shall be provided so as to prevent animals from escaping;"

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS