Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Crovect questions.  (Read 8335 times)

SueAllen

• Joined Apr 2009
Crovect questions.
« on: July 23, 2009, 09:02:20 pm »
Well I think we've done the most badly planned and managed bit of sheep care we've ever had!!  :o  We didn't think any of it through properly (probably because we had a very well organised and successful day with shearing etc yesterday and were thinking we were good at sheep care!! Fools!)

We only got half the lambs in to Crovect them and then it poured down with rain.  The big black clouds in the sky were a bit of a give away.  But so often it means nothing here as we are close to the coast and it misses us.  Anyway, idiocy aside, the question is do we have to do them again tomorrow?  And I got sprayed on the leg - I've washed it off well.  Do I need to worry? 
I've looked at the data sheet and instructions and I think it pretty much says I have to go and live in an oxygen tent for a week but really how much do I have to worry?

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Crovect questions.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 09:05:15 pm »
Why not phone NHS 24 and try and get an immediate response. Hopefully you done all that is necessary but don't take any chances.

SueAllen

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 10:34:40 pm »
Thanks.  I've given it a double scrub, if it changes tomorrow (like I come out in a rash) I will certainly call them.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 10:56:42 pm »
It sounds horrid stuff. What do you do with it for the sheep - hopefully not inject it or put it down their throats!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 09:02:30 am »
as you say if you come out in a bad rash go visit your GP. but its not something you really need to worry about. If it was as lethal you wouldn't be able to buy it for spraying ( the most dangerous way to apply things) While I try to take precautions (masks waterproof clothes and gloves) I still manage to get some on me sometimes and the worst that has happened was a redness on the skin the next day. at least I don't have any fleas or lice.... hey ho

Ian

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 02:40:10 pm »
Annie, it's a spray for external parasites. You apply it to the outside of the sheep. Or yourself.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 04:53:21 pm »
Can't you use Spot on? Or is that too expensive for sheep?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 10:28:00 pm »
it helps prevent fly strike. i would not get any on you if you can help it but wash it off. now if you have kids like mine who think its OK to knock a 500ml bottle over onto me then i would suggest having a good scrub down. if you start feeling strange then phone the hospital and pay them a visit with the bottle. but the odd spot will do you not a lot of harm.

PuBS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • National
    • PuBSForum
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 06:55:55 am »
Crovect caused a nasty skin reaction with me, burning and inflamed area on my legs.
Why not use Vetrazine it gives two weeks longer protection unless you have struck sheep when Crovect will also kill active maggots?
Nickcordery
PuBSadmin
www.pubs.myfunforum.org

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS