Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Starting a Herd (Dexter) for a 5 acre small holding  (Read 12203 times)

Noel

• Joined Jun 2013
Starting a Herd (Dexter) for a 5 acre small holding
« on: June 25, 2013, 09:59:24 am »
Hello All
This my fist time posting on this Forum though i have been using it as an invaluable tool for research & information  for a while.I have a lot of questions and look forward to getting to know the Community here. I will  start  with this one.
 My self and my wife have just bought a beautiful farm in west cork. We have experience in keeping pigs to slaughter(about four a year) and laying hens. But we want to get some cattle for our new place. Nothing major just a small herd to do our selves for milk and meat. Making cheese and the like and maybe sell on some produce once we figure out all the regs.
Question is We don't know where to start. Do we start with one cow in calf
then raise that calf to slaughter. Or one Cow in calf with another Calf at foot. Also we are thinking of Dexters just because i love the fact of an Irish Rare Breed and they're meant to be good food converters.
Any other suggestions of breeds or any general advice would be great. Especially about building & feeding a small herd of Dexter(or other breed)
We move in, in Sept. Cheers

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Re: Starting a Herd (Dexter) for a 5 acre small holding
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 01:05:56 pm »
 :wave: Welcome!

Pick the breed that you like, Dexter's are perfect for smallholdings. The only thing with that breed is theres two types, long legged and short. They can produce a calf called a bulldog, I believe this is when you cross a short legged cow with a long legged bull.

It all depends on money to be honest. Personally I'd buy some heifers and then put them into calf to a bull you like using AI to save you buying a bull. You could buy  milking cows either in calf or put them in calf or like you say in calf with calf at foot. It all depends on what you can get there.

What buildings do you have?

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 01:42:23 pm »
 :wave: hi, we have a few dexters and there brilliant, not to mention very, very tasty!
I would be looking to buy a cow that's in calf with one at foot, this way it always ha company and you don't need to worry about getting her in calf for a good while.
We have one cow who produces a calf a year which gives us a constant supply of beef. We have just sent off the two year old and she's left with last years calf and this years aswell, we'll soon put her back in calf to keep the cycle going.
Ours are the long legged ones which are a nice size for the smallholding. I think you only get a bulldog calf if you breed short to short  :thinking:
We have never had any calving problems at all and the calves are up on there feet in no time. They also live out all year and are very hardy. We just feed hay, barley straw or silage during the winter.

domsmith

• Joined Aug 2012
  • sanquhar, dumfries and galloway
    • sunnyside farm
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 08:44:26 pm »
You only get a bulldog, with short legged bulls. use a non short bull and you are fine.

Cant beat a dexter if your in Ireland. Beef is top notch.

In calf cow with calf at foot is always the best value. Dexters wont break the bank either

dominic

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 06:33:57 pm »
I'm at the 'will I or won't I' stage with cattle. My concern would be amount of land. Usually 1 ha / 2.5 acres to a cow? Not sure what's needed for a dexter plus you will need to buy in forage / poss in-winter them to save your land for summer grazing. Plus all the handling equipment.

Is Ireland TB free/ low risk? that was my other concern - is the hassle worth it for a few cows.

Have you looked at Irish Moiled? larger cows (but then more 'beef' for your money/effort) - its a 'premium beef' cattle.
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 02:53:01 am »
The bulldog calf sometimes occurs from short legged to short legged breeding. It is by no means a given that it will happen, but the risk is only worth taking if you are breeding for a specific line or characteristic etc usually only done in show lines. Just make sure you breed long to short or the other way round and you'll not have any problems. Pregnant cow with calf at foot is defo best option and if i were you i'd buy a well handled animal with short legs! Good luck

sweet_lfa

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Pembs
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 09:41:44 am »
Just wanted to say that Dexters are great. :)  We have four and they are really good doers.  Our land is very poor, but the Dexters are looking fantastic.  Ours stay out all year round and just have their diet supplemented with some haylage in the winter  :thumbsup:
1 x WB horse, 1 x Sec A pony, 2 x Kunekunes, 3 x Embden geese, 2 x Fawn Chinese Geese, 4 x Dexter Cows, 1 x Springer Spaniel, 1 x Jack Russell, 1 x Light Sussex, 1 x Wellsummer, 2 x Pekins, 3 x ex-batt hens, 1 x pet boyfriend

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 09:16:13 am »
Hi
How much haylage do your Dexters eat over winter?   Am just trying to work out how much we need for ours who will be out wintered.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 09:31:36 am »
we started with 2 weaned heifer calves for financial reasons abut also as there was a lengthy waiting list at time for a pregnant cow. but i think the market may have changed now. it is nice to have the chance to tame and handle the permanent girls and its easier if they are young, but then you have to wait for calves.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 10:19:27 pm »
Ok all you dexter lovers. How do you justify having a breed that costs as much to slaughter and butcher as a commercial breed? Do they pay for themselves? I love them and as mentioned they taste amazing but our local yokel farmer is talking my OH out of them as too expensive.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 08:42:30 am »
My butcher charges me less. They eat less as there smaller and make less mess in the field and as there so hardy they live out which saves on bedding costs.
Farmers struggle to see the point of them but there perfect for a smallholding where space is usually more limited.

ShaunP

• Joined Dec 2009
    • Timber Chalets and Lodges
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 10:27:49 am »
My butcher charges me less. They eat less as there smaller and make less mess in the field and as there so hardy they live out which saves on bedding costs.
Farmers struggle to see the point of them but there perfect for a smallholding where space is usually more limited.

I buy in Dexter Steers to fatten and finish for the freezer. All the above is the major plus for me!! And if I told my wife I was trying something else I thing there would be tears!!!

domsmith

• Joined Aug 2012
  • sanquhar, dumfries and galloway
    • sunnyside farm
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 09:36:02 pm »
Ok all you dexter lovers. How do you justify having a breed that costs as much to slaughter and butcher as a commercial breed? Do they pay for themselves? I love them and as mentioned they taste amazing but our local yokel farmer is talking my OH out of them as too expensive.

Killing costs is quite right its the same for small or large, but Your butchering costs will be per kilo so will be cheaper.
thats a small point, what they save on bedding, haylage, vet meds, handling facilities, should cover that extra cost per kilo for killing.
Your local farmer is losing just as much money per suckler cow as a dexter keeper, so i wouldnt worry.

dominic

ps my dexters will be at the small holder festival in lanark next week with the scottish dexter society. 2 cows with cross calves at foot.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS