Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My turn for a rant.  (Read 3457 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
My turn for a rant.
« on: June 24, 2013, 08:56:30 pm »
Last Thursday I was due to visit FiB for a felting session but the clutch went on my car and I had to postpone. We were without the car for two and a half days.  :rant:

Today we were due to drive to Cambridge for a holiday culminating in our son's wedding on Saturday but we had to be towed back because the gearbox went.  :rant: This time the car is going to be off the road for at least two days so we are having to hire a vehicle to get us there.  :rant: It would have been cheaper to go by train but we have the four tier wedding cake to take with us so that's out.  :rant:

I love my car and have had him for nearly nine years with very little going wrong over the years - just tyres, brake pads and the occasional light bulb - so why did two major things have to go wrong in one week and why this particular week?  :rant: :rant: :rant:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: My turn for a rant.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 09:06:17 pm »
 :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 09:07:22 pm »
It's called Somebody's Law, and the only consolation is to hope you've had your bad luck now and everything else will go smoothly  :-* :-*
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 10:17:40 pm »
More hugs and sympathy from me  :hug: :hug:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 10:25:00 pm »
Thanks, folks. We will get there but I'm feeling a bit fed up with it all and missing my girls and the dogs. It's one thing being on holiday and missing your animals but to actually be in the house and they are not here is so hard.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 09:07:17 am »
 :hug: now foget it and ENJOY THE WEDDING  :excited: :sunshine: :love:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 01:21:14 pm »
Cars have a habit of breaking down when we need them the most......at least with a hire car you can get a replacement, its soooo stressful breaking down,  believe me, with the old cars I have had,  we have had lots of breakdowns in not so great places!!!

:fc:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 10:57:05 pm »
Twice in less than a week and both major things going wrong is a bit much though. Still we are now in Cambridge, met our son's future in-laws (lovely people), drank too much wine and are now in our flat for the rest of the night. Going to Ely tomorrow with the kids then Thursday we will spend on our own as it is our wedding anniversary. Friday we are off to meet Benkt and see his smallholding then there's the wedding  on Saturday which is  :excited: .

I'm feeling better now.  ;D

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 11:25:18 pm »
I'd have taken it as the gypsies kiss and had the wedding cancelled ,   t'would have saved you a fortune and your son a house   :roflanim:
 :hug: Just joking .

Enjoy the break don't get too tiddly .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 12:13:52 am »
thats strange - my 4x4's clutch went then the gears went within a month. maybe the 2 are connected? iv no idea.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 07:08:03 am »
Yes - it is amazing how these things seem to happen at the most inappropriate times and places.

Last weekend our trailer decided to get a flat tyre just as we were leaving the local piggery with two tons of pig manure in it!! Then we discovered that the nut holes on the spare wheel were in fact too small for the wheel bracket thing.

Fortunately the farmer had a hydraulic jack and a pillar drill in his shed with a big enough metal drill bit so we were able to ream out the holes on the spare tyre and fit it on there and then

Of course - it was raining all the while, my husband had one of his rare "mother of all hangovers" and we were blocking the farmer's main driveway up which he was expecting an imminent feed delivery!!!
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 07:53:19 am »
Happy wedding anniversary too :bouquet: , hope you have something romantic planned :love: .

I always have old cars so breaking down is inevitable, the worse place being on the M8, the best, out TESCO.

when I fostered I looked after a il with mental heal problems, she had not had contact with any family for years, mainly due to here very strange personality, her birth mum had mental health problems and as a child was seriously neglected and abused, she did receive a large compensation, anyway, any time I had to take her to somewhere she did not want to go, such as hospital appointments, visits to social workers etc, the transport would always bread down,   One time the car broke down so my daughter came to the rescue with her car, it was raining hard and first her window wipers stopped working then her clutch went.........so took a Taxi, then another time took the train, that broke down but we got to where we were going in the end, the social worker took us in her car and broke down........this went on most of the time but never if we were going anywhere nice like holiday I meal out o shopping........very strange, I could never arrange anything  something always happened, missed my bet friends husbands wedding due to her being sent home from school after stealing another friend and her teachers money.........anyway......I hate breaking down but at least the breakdown services are nice.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 10:19:58 am »
Oh MGoM - you know the bad stuff is sent to us in patches so that while the good stuff is happening we can enjoy it more. You need a bit of cr&p to truly relish the good times  :)

The ABS was playing up on our Disco - got it sorted and then....oops blew a tyre. My fault apparently for off roading it (but its an off roader!!)  ;)

everything will start to be great again soon...you'll see  :bouquet:
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 11:58:17 am »
Oh MGoM - you know the bad stuff is sent to us in patches so that while the good stuff is happening we can enjoy it more. You need a bit of cr&p to truly relish the good times  :)

The ABS was playing up on our Disco - got it sorted and then....oops blew a tyre. My fault apparently for off roading it (but its an off roader!!)  ;)

everything will start to be great again soon...you'll see  :bouquet:
I like that perspective!!!  Hope you are having a fab time and looking forward to catching up when all is on an even keel again!   :hug: :hug:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 11:01:34 pm »
Had a lovely day today and bought two pairs of shoes to replace the pair that I left in our car when we were transferring the luggage.

We have been quoted £345 to repair the gear box or £595 for a recon one, plus labour so we've decided to go for the cheaper option then sell the car as it looks like the beginning of the end. I am entitled to a motability car so we'll go for that. shame because I love my Peugeot but when a car starts costing more than it is worth to keep on the road, it's time to say goodbye.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS