Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Winter crop  (Read 2423 times)

Fud

• Joined Jan 2013
Winter crop
« on: June 22, 2013, 10:57:10 am »
Hi,
I'm looking for some help!

Has anyone any good suggestions as to a crop I could plant, maximum of an acre, around now to provide food for sheep, pigs and cows in the later/winter months.

Thanks,

Steve. J

ferretkeeper

• Joined May 2013
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Brecon View Farm
    • Facebook
Re: Winter crop
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 04:13:34 pm »
Maybe something like mangold/wurzel/fodder beet? Sheep (and cattle?) will eat the tops then you could let the pigs in to dig up the roots, ploughing it up ready for the next crop? I'm not sure what's best for planting now, or even if there's time to get a good crop before winter, I'm sure someone else will know - I haven't tried growing my own fodder yet but it's on my list!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 06:29:54 pm by ferretkeeper »
breconviewfarm.co.uk Rare breed, free range.

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 05:43:36 pm »
We have recently applied for a tenanted farm and had to include estimates for winter fodder crops.  I called Mole Valley Farmers who couldn't have been more helpful, especially for a complete novice like me. 

For a late October/November planted crop (which ours will have to be if we get the farm) they recommended Forage Rape which is winter hardy and will provide forage suitable for strip grazing in Jan and Feb before grass is ready.  They also suggested turnips or Italian Rye Grass with added clover if we could plant a bit earlier.

I would suggest giving them a ring - I explained that I wasn't in the market to buy just yet and might never be but they still gave me loads of help and advice.

Donna
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 06:48:08 pm by colliewobbles »

Tala Orchard

• Joined Nov 2012
  • North Cornwall
    • Tala Orchard
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 06:34:57 pm »
We have planted stubble turnip on the 31st May for finishing lambs end August  we are going to repeat this again in Sept/Oct for feeding in Jan/Feb. We have planted only an acre and we shall use it for the lambs and sheep in August we may lift some to feed to the pigs at this time also but the crop for Jan/Feb will be for grazing the sheep, rotating with pigs we shall bring the sheep in let them graze a strip then move them back bring in the pigs to lift any that the sheep have not managed to pull up probably once or twice a week.

Hope this gives an idea.

Tala
Pigs are human tooo

Still playing with tractors

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
  • You can never have enough HP
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 10:09:08 am »
I would suggest Kale or Turnips.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS