Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Opportunity Knocks!!!!  (Read 1603 times)

Howard

• Joined Jun 2012
Opportunity Knocks!!!!
« on: June 22, 2013, 09:33:10 am »
Hi, I have just about 25 acres of Orchard in Kent, near to Hever. Stocked with predominantly Bramley trees. My Father, back in the 70's used to pick them and sell them locally. Then came Golden Delicious from France and they became almost worthless overnight. So, we then sold them to Merrydown, this became un-viable in the 90's. So now, they grow, they drop, they rot, and its breaking my heart!

I'm looking for someone who wants to take it on. We have a tractor and cutter, a large cold store, but with no equipment in.

Is there anyone out there who wants to talk some more, who can use what we have in return for a small percentage of profit as and when the venture makes any. To be fair, I'm not that bothered as long as I can see the Orchard active again. I'm open to suggestions. I may invest if the proposition needs it.

Any one up for the challenge? Let me know

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Opportunity Knocks!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 11:47:39 pm »
Sadly not - I'm sure my own five enormous Bramleys will keep me occupied. Our predecessor in this house grubbed up 30 acres of apple orchard and sold the land to a local farmer only four years ago. The villagers are still bitter - it was the first thing we heard when we moved in. I imagine he had the same stresses of trying to compete with imported apples but ironically they must have just been coming back into 'local is best' by then. Mind you, he was into his late 70s and had probably just had enough of battling too. We tried to buy the land back (husband would now like to grow grapes instead of apples) but farmer not interested in selling so we've planted our own mini-apple orchard of 30 trees and will have about an acre of vines.

Anyhow, back to your question, I wonder whether Brogdale might be able to put you in touch with somebody who could help? There is also a pamphlet out on the apple heritage of Kent from the Produced in Kent guys http://www.producedinkent.co.uk/new_foodtrails.shtml which is praising the apple heritage of Kent. Might be worth contacting them for suggestions because they might know local farmers who'd be only too happy to add your trees to their portfolio. Do you know any local cider makers?

H

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS