Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New to sheep  (Read 3387 times)

Little Mo and Bo

• Joined Jul 2009
New to sheep
« on: July 22, 2009, 10:31:26 pm »
Hi we have a smallholding with horse, donkey and goat and have just added 2 ryland brown lambs to our menagerie.

They are so sweet and already taming up well. We are using pellets to encourage them to come to us - does that matter. They are weaned and out to grass.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: New to sheep
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 03:34:12 pm »
Hi and welcome. Glad you've got coloured Ryelands - ewe lambs? Where did you get them?

I have three ewes and three lambs. Two of the ewes and their lambs are tame - love Polo mints, brown bread. The other one is bonkers, and her lamb (our only ewe lamb this year) is bonkers too.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 09:27:49 am »
hi what breed of goat?  Do you milk her?

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 10:16:19 pm »
Pellets to tame them in moderation is o.k. with Ryelands, just don't let them get too fat by next year as you will not get them into lamb.
Have several Ryelands myself.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 06:22:11 pm »
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Kindest regards
Joe :)

Little Mo and Bo

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 10:47:26 pm »
Thanks to everyone who replied. Haven't quite the hang of this forum thing yet.

Our sheep are rylands and yes they are ewe lambs and they are already taming up well. I bought them from a local breeder in Ruyton X1 Towns, Shropshire where we live. She doesn't advertise to sell though - just did to us as we live so close.Only using a few pellets once every other day now, trouble is all the other animals come running and we have a stampede.

Little Mo got stood on the other day I think and has been limping but is ok  now. They will establish their own pecking order.

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 02:25:57 pm »
Hi from me too, Rylands seem very popular but havnt seen or heard of any here in France

Carole

MM

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 08:21:08 pm »
Hello!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS