Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Red Diesel  (Read 12919 times)

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
Red Diesel
« on: June 20, 2013, 08:01:08 pm »
Hi,I need some red diesel for my tractor.Can some one please explain to me what I have to do to get some nowadays.I had been buying it from a farm but that is no longer an option.I use about 20 liters a month so not much.

Thanks Graham.
Graham.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
Re: Red Diesel
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 08:09:00 pm »
Order some from your local heating oil supplier.  You can get 210 litre barrels.  Or some garages sell it from the pump.    Cheapest option is find another friendly farmer.

Still playing with tractors

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
  • You can never have enough HP
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 09:57:40 am »
if your using a fair amount go for a bunded tank and buy in bulk the more you buy the cheaper it gets but shop around. We use a fuel proof tank and ive just fitted an electric pump yippee no more hand pumping :excited:

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 10:13:34 am »
Some garages in rural areas usually sell it (Nantycaws garage for anyone near Carmarthen). If you're only using small quantities do not be tempted to buy a lot and store it as the shelf life of the newer diesels are considerably less than it used to be (as it is more prone to oxidation), which may lead to filter blockages.

Ideally fuel stocks should be turned over in six months or less.

Drummournie

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cawdor - Nairnshire
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 10:03:14 pm »
My local garage up here (nairn) sells pump red diesel, I have a heap of 25l drums that I take one or two at a time and fill with red.
They give you he key to the pump and tell you to fill in the book when you come back in!!

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 12:43:00 pm »
For 20 litres a month can't you just use regular diesel? For a saving of about £10 is it worth the hassle trying to find red?
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 03:57:08 pm »
For 20 litres a month can't you just use regular diesel? For a saving of about £10 is it worth the hassle trying to find red?

Yep for that level of use your saving might evaporate in the barrel before you use it. If you install a dispensing bundled tank that's different cos then you get a big convenience saving and also can buy in bigger quantities. But for that amount I would just run on white, and then not have to worry either about where you can use the kit.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 11:16:39 am »
Get a plastic tank wired and store it in the garage most tool sales have them thainstone etc better than barrels .

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 11:55:57 am »
Get a plastic tank wired and store it in the garage most tool sales have them thainstone etc better than barrels .

Would need to be bunded (double skinned) tho to be legal these days, some at Thainstone are just old single skinned ones, but some are double.

Crofterloon

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Mintlaw
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 10:32:46 am »
I go to my local heating oil supplier who also supplies red diesel to farms. They sell red diesel in 20 litre
plastic containers for about 21 or 22 pounds. As Spandit says its only a saving of about 10 pnds.
The trouble is the heating oil supplier is only open during normal office hours.

littlelugs

• Joined Aug 2011
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 01:40:51 pm »
we just go to our local petrol station and fill a jerry can as and when we need it then fill up the machinery.

jimmy

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 02:21:27 pm »
Our local Morrisons does it at the pump. You have to go in and tell them you're allowed it first though!...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS