Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Making Wildflower Meadows.  (Read 3809 times)

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
Making Wildflower Meadows.
« on: June 20, 2013, 03:37:49 pm »
I've just had a new book delivered and I can't wait to get stuck into it. I think its going to get a lot of use from it. Its called 'Making Wildflower Meadows' by Pam Lewis. After a quick skim through it this afternoon, I think it would be well worth getting by folks with an interest in this sort of thing.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Making Wildflower Meadows.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 11:23:43 pm »
I've got it - great read but still far from putting it in to practice not least because my husband gets stressed when it gets too long for our tractor to cope with.

H

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 07:23:00 am »
Hi Hester. After watching the Sarah Raven programmes a few years ago, we sent off for some wild seeds and as a result, this year we've been able to plant out Ragged Robins and White Campions. Its been well worth doing and definately gives you a feeling of having achieved something. The next species on our target is Lady Smock. :fc:

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 11:28:49 am »
Thanks Id be interested in hearing more - will have a look how much the book is.  We currently harrow and overseeed after the pigs have been on an area with permenant pasture haymeadow mix - is there a mix that is recommended that has high wildfower and is nice for hay cut?

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 08:43:03 pm »
This is the book that i've been using. http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?an=john+stevens&bt.x=87&bt.y=21&sts=t&tn=wild+flower+gardening Its really good, full of information and as you can see, its also dirt cheap.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 06:39:29 pm »
I did watch the tv iv got a place sorted iv naw going to boldersdale in the dales and get 2 sacks of seed turf on top and seed underneath and see haw it goes .iv put new soil on top it will be 1 mile square when done .Then put the 12  hives there.

Hamish Crofter

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Isle of Skye
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 11:05:31 am »
Did you get around to reading this book? If so is it worth buying as I'm looking to create a wildflower area on the croft.....

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 01:41:40 pm »
Try Scotia Seeds for help and advice plus seeds and scythes

http://www.scotiaseeds.co.uk/index.php

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 10:45:54 am »
I've been wanting to make a wildflower field, however I don not have enough land for it. I have also been looking into herbal and wildflower leys for when the buffaloes are milking, to improve they're milk yield a bit. :wave:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 11:21:56 am »
mines gone well but moles are a big problem .its a lot of work . Scots plants for meadow  seed.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 11:20:52 am by Victorian Farmer »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS