Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Price of cull ewes  (Read 3397 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Price of cull ewes
« on: June 20, 2013, 01:20:51 pm »
I have 3 mules 5 years old which I am going to sell. I have a friend who wants to buy them but I don't know what is a fair price. One was barren this year so thought £50. The other 2 consistently produce triplets and he wants to breed from them again even though I have told him they are high maintenance. I thought around £85 each as I know they produce good strong lambs.

I'm sure SteveH will tell me that's too much!

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
Re: Price of cull ewes
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 04:28:29 pm »
Depends what sort of condition they are in - if you look on the Salisbury market website, you can get an idea of prices.

Cull ewes were selling as follows on the 18th June

Best Quality av £83.87
Medium av £70.49
Plain av £50.85

(Overall average £64.80).

If I am selling old ewes for breeding, I reckon £5-10 over cull is about right. If I am selling them not for breeding, I would look at what kind of condition it is in and sell it according to cull price.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 05:37:54 pm »
It's a bit like the proverbial piece of string. Steve's prices are about the same as they were fetching at Selby last week.
However your best quality will refer to something like a well fleshed suffolk or texel cross, and the plain ones are most likely mules.
So presuming your barren one is quite fat (for a mule), then I would have thought £50 about right.
However, your other 2, having presumably raised triplets, are unlikely to carry much flesh at the moment so would fetch a lot less as culls. So I would have thought you'd be doing well to get £60 for what are, or soon will be, broken mouthed ewes.
Just a thought though - why sell your friend an old barren sheep? Wouldn't he be better with one that he can get a few more lambs off?

Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 06:31:38 pm »
Just sent 4 to Stirling auctions and they made an average of £79 each  ;D
Anne

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 11:19:27 pm »
Ah well he originally only wanted them to eat the grass down then sell at market. Now he would like some Quiet ones which he can breed from and let the kids at local school name, feed etc. presumably lambs will eat sold on so he will make a few quid on them.

The pair with triplets are actually quite well covered because they have only raised twins and I have taken the third.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 08:24:36 pm »
Just sent 4 to Stirling auctions and they made an average of £79 each  ;D

Wow!
Good day at market then. :excited:
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS