Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hebridean Horn question?  (Read 1483 times)

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
Hebridean Horn question?
« on: June 20, 2013, 05:29:42 pm »
Big belter of a tup lamb with his smaller sister. The ewe lambs horns are relatively un developed would they be described as scurrs if so and does that necessarily mean she will have a top knot?
Dam and sire are both 2 horns with no 4 horn showing on pedigree
thanks
BL

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Hebridean Horn question?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 08:49:29 pm »
She looks 2 horned with a small amount of topknot, but definitely not a big one, which I've only seen on multi horned Hebs.  It's quite difficult to see whether she has four horns - you would be able to feel them as small bumps, but they would be in a poor position for 4.  A multi horned lamb from two supposedly 2 horned parents is vaguely possible if one of the parents has fused horns so they are 4 looking like 2 - it does happen occasionally.  I don't think that will be the case if the pedigrees are all 2 horned - genetically 2 horns can't hide 4, whereas 4 can carry (hide) 2.  4 horns are dominant over 2.
To check if her horns are scurs, see if they wobble - be gentle.  True scurs are small bits of horn material which don't have a full bony core, just the outer sheath.  However, her horns don't look that small so see what they are like after a year.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
Re: Hebridean Horn question?
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 11:00:44 pm »
Thanks FW parents are definately 2 Horns  - no fusing - can only go with the paperwork after that - i  will check her when i get a hold of her - maybe just a 2 horn with poor horns or just not grown for some reason - The horns are very much smaller than all the other ewe lambs of the same age who are sticking out 3 inches or so these seem fairly flat and about an inch or less. Was a strange pair tup lamb born v big and ewe lamb quite small in comparison to the rest of this years lambs
cheers
BL
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 11:03:12 pm by Big Light »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS