Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weeds weeds weeds!  (Read 3212 times)

Justkat

• Joined Jan 2013
Weeds weeds weeds!
« on: June 18, 2013, 05:23:03 pm »
I currently have a major problem with creeping buttercup, hogweed and foxgloves in my field. Half the field was sprayed in late May with depitox but it was pretty unsuccesful as we did it a bit too late. It did effect the buttercups to some extent but had no effect at all on the hogweed and foxgloves. The hogweed is common not giant. The field is grazed by ponies so it would be good to be able to get rid of them but I fear I'm fighting a losing battle.

Any recommendations, or should I just accept that the field is a mess and give up until next year?

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Weeds weeds weeds!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 12:41:05 am »
Pigs?

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 11:35:02 am »
Depitox should get them, but you may need to measure the pH of the soil - creeping buttercup loves acid and probably a good dose of lime will help keep them in check.

Sue

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 11:37:57 am »
Soil test maybe a good start?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 12:18:40 pm »
Pigs?

we kept pigs but saw no reduction in docks unless we sprayed and strimmed them down. if you are going the pig route - be prepared to disc harrow, roll and reseed the land afterwards as they leave deep ruts.

Still playing with tractors

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
  • You can never have enough HP
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 12:12:05 pm »
I agree with Sue about the soil testing. But yes leave it till next year. The best approach would be to spray, plough, powerharrow and reseed, but it means you will be without for 12months. other option is to use somthing like a blec a vator and just do what you can afford to lose each year. Hope that helps.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 04:25:40 pm »
when i wanted my field sprayed and reseeded - i was told its best to do it in late summer / autumn as the weed plants are already up to be strayed (as opposed to spring when they are under the soil). then the field can be rested all winter and it should be cleaner sward than spring reseeding.
i have never done it tho.

Still playing with tractors

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
  • You can never have enough HP
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 01:17:10 pm »
The reason behind doing it early in the season is that the plant will be drawing in more to grow at its fastest rate. Once it matures its intake slows and changes. Some plants require more than 1 treatment.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS