Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Spinning own fleece  (Read 5506 times)

Twiggy

• Joined Jun 2013
Spinning own fleece
« on: June 17, 2013, 12:09:30 pm »
I am having my sheep sheared today. All 12 of them. South Downs.  This year I want to spin my own wool but need some help.  I know they need to be washed and I believe carded , ready for the wheel. I am looking for a firm who would carry out the washing and carding for me, near Essex. Any help

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Spinning own fleece
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 02:50:43 pm »
Such places are few and far between.  I don't know of any in your area.  The usual thing is to brace yourself for the postage, then send them off somewhere - Halifax Mill near Goole, can manage a run of less than 25 kgs.  If your fleeces weigh more than that after thorough skirting and dagging, then you have a couple more options, such as The Natural Fibre Co in Somerset.

Good luck with the spinning  :spin: :knit:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Twiggy

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 08:56:09 pm »
Thanks for your reply, I spoke to a firm who will take my fleece as long as the wool is at least two inches long, they said South Downs are short wools and maybe no good, in the autumn I need to get a new ram so was wondering what breed may suit.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 04:32:29 pm »
I think Southdown should have a 2" staple, once the fibres are pulled straight?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 12:01:17 pm »
just don't do what one of my neighbours did......asked for a complete fleece which we obliged, she then promptly put it in her washing machine  :roflanim:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 12:45:39 pm »
umm I put  my fleeces in the washing machine  ;D   cold water wash low res spin  inside a pillow case tied with a plastic cable tie easy wash easy dry  ;D 
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 12:49:20 pm »
ok maybe i should have pointed out that she put it in the machine, on its own on a normal wash/spin etc. the entire inside of the machine was one big sticky mess!
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 01:08:34 pm »
oops ;D

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 01:25:36 pm »
You can get dirt out but not grease under 60 degrees C......beware.....your pipes will get caked and you will block your septic tank  :o :o
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 07:26:21 pm »
No problem for septic tank its a grey water trap only as for the pipes if I run a hot water wash through after shouldn't this clean the pipes?

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 09:36:12 am »
I'd have thought if you wanted to spin yourself then you might as well wash and card yourself for 12 fleeces?  This was recently posted on the shetland forum:

http://mozfiberlife.wordpress.com/fsm/
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 10:02:44 am »
It's hard work washing a dozen but it is possible.  Sallyintnorth has tried the fermented suint method, but I never have.  Also, you still have to wash the fleece in the usual way afterwards, so to my mind it isn't worth it.  I think it also needs summer warmth to work well and a potion to start it off.  It wouldn't be my first choice for a beginner but hopefully Sally will appear to give her opinion  :spin:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 10:45:02 am »
I never got it to work last year  :(

I think there were a number of reasons.  Firstly,  :gloomy: :cold: and no  :sunshine: - it needs to be warm for the vat to start to work.  Secondly, and probably more important (since I tried the airing cupboard with a bucketful and that wasn't very successful either), the initial priming fleece needs to be a greasy one.  I thought a fleece which span nicely in the grease was, by definition, greasy, but apparently not.  A merino or similar would be good; I don't have anything like that.  Some people say primitives are good - but Shetlands have very little grease. ???  I may see if I can pick up a really good greasy fleece at Woolfest next week and have another crack at it this year.  Although the initial fleece is supposed to be dirty as well as greasy... and there shouldn't be anything dirty in the fleece sale at Woolfest...

The theory is that the initial soak with the dirty greasy fleece in a warm temperature creates a soap out of the suint (sweat), grease and dirt, and this soap cleans the initial and subsequent fleeces.  It doesn't remove all the grease, so you can still spin in the grease - just clean grease! :D -, dye using a stove-top rainbow dye process, whatever, or you can wash it with your regular fleece-washing soap (Ecover is good) but you won't need to use nearly as much soap as you would if you didn't do the suint vat first.

Having failed to get a suint vat running last year, I have since been experimenting with using a cold water soak first, and have found that a lot of fleece comes pretty clean just with that.  Your Gotland has come up just lovely, Pedwardine  :thumbsup:; I'm going to spin it in the grease during the Tour de Fleece next month. :)   

You need a bit of slipperiness to draft the fibres anyway, so if you wash all that out with soap you just have to add some oiliness back in when you come to comb or spin.  However, some fleece is more dirty and really does need soap to achieve a state in which it is nice to spin.  For these, I would prefer to use the suint vat as again, it does not remove all the grease, only mostly the dirt, so you get a clean fleece that still drafts nicely.

Another benefit of the suint vat is that fleece is unlikely to felt in the vat, whereas some fibres felt all too easily when getting washed in hot soapy water.  Even more so when there's a lot of hay, straw etc in the fibre - the stems seem to provide the friction you'd use a bamboo mat, or bubble wrap to do if you were felting intentionally.  (Ask me how I know  ::))

Last year I also experimented with washing before spinning versus spinning completely raw and washing the plied yarn - and I couldn't tell the difference in the final yarns.  Since our own commercial fleece spins just beautifully in the grease, and I'm not very good at carding, that's how I mostly spin our own fleece.  However it also combs beautifully too, so now I have English combs I will comb some before spinning this year too.  I want to experiment with making woollen yarn from the combed waste, that and felt.

Sorry, I am off on one, aren't I?  :D ::)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 10:50:01 am by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 01:26:11 pm »
one of my friends spins and knits from her own fleeces and she swears by washing everything in shampoo, comes out much softer apparently

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 03:29:10 pm »
It would be interesting to see wool fibres which had been washed in shampoo (and presumably conditioner) under a microscope.  The general recommendation for wool is not to use a fabric softener before spinning, and hair conditioner I would have thought would be pretty similar.  I'm wondering if it would affect all the little scales along the wool fibres, which must make the overall staple a bit rough, but are essential - helpful anyway - for wool spinning, as they catch onto eachother to hold the yarn together.
If conditioner or fabric softener is ok it would probably really help the Heb fleece I'm spinning right now - the singles is pretty hairy, although it's smooth when it's plied.
Does anyone know the detailed effect of conditioner on wool?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS