Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: wormer  (Read 1891 times)

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
wormer
« on: June 16, 2013, 07:22:57 pm »
Hi  :wave: all we are new to keeping pigs and just wondered what you suggest to worm them both are  nearly a year old and we have never had pigs on the land previously,
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: wormer
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 07:41:54 pm »
Hi  :wave:

I jag mine with Ivomec , once a year - treats both internal & external parasites.  At a year old I'd recommend investing in a slapshot & gun, unless you have somewhere you can barricade them in (weaners are easy enough to use a syringe, as they can be picked-up). 

I them check at the 6-month mark to see if they need doing again - I would then use Flubenol powder - no problem them taking it in a jam sandwich (no butter, not homemade jam or bread & never been in your kitchen!). You can get a worm-count kit (Supplies for Smallholders on here does them), so you can see if they have a burden before you decide to treat them.
 :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
Re: wormer
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 03:20:09 pm »
ok thanks just plan to try and tye them in with worming sheep and chickens
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS