Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Araucana colour genetics  (Read 3583 times)

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Araucana colour genetics
« on: June 15, 2013, 04:42:43 pm »
I have hatched Araucana chicks

Cockerel is lavender

Hens are white, black, lavender

So I will presume white hens have produced white chicks, lavender hens have produced lavender chicks
But there is one  chick which is a lovely redish brown colour which may be from the black hen.

Anyone had experience in this?

Cheers mojo
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Araucana colour genetics
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 06:31:06 pm »
I am not 100% sure how the genetics of colour work in araucanas. However, the old way to get sex linked chicks was to cross a white hen with a coloured cockerel. Then the cockerels were white, and the female chicks coloured. This was traditionally done with Light Sussex (ie white) hens and a Rhode Island Red (ie coloured) cockerel. So you then knew on hatching that the brown chicks were pullets and didn't have to raise a lot of white cockerels that you didn't want.
So assuming the system works with araucanas, then your white chicks will be cockerels from your white hens, the lavender chicks will be a mixture of pullets from your white hens, and both sexes from your lavender hens, and your reddish brown chick (most likely) from your black hen.

Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 07:19:48 am »
Thanks landroverroy, that has been helpful
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 08:12:58 pm »
Landroverroy - I think this is the outcome

White       male and female
Black       male
Lavender  Male
Reddish    Male

Just my luck!!!

It's a pity someone couldnt invent  a scan for identifying whilst an embryo it would be so much easier. If anyone would like white or lavender auracana cockerel let me know. I am keeping the the red and black ones
Hatched 1 June 2013

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 09:12:24 pm »
Obviously the colour system in araucanas is more complicated than in simple brown or white poultry!
But never mind, at least it keeps the suspense going a bit longer. Pretty bad luck though only getting one pullet, but then that's poultry breeding for you. :chook: 
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 11:43:38 pm »
i might be wrong but i thought the lavender colour was recessive? or something similar.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS