Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Schmallenberg vaccine  (Read 9313 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Schmallenberg vaccine
« on: June 15, 2013, 07:53:12 am »
I see on a brochure from our local vet that Schmallenberg vaccine is now available.

[/size]Anyone got any experience with it?
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: Schmallenberg vaccine
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 08:04:09 am »
Only just been released so doubt anyone will have any experience.  A good discussion topic though.... to vaccinate or not?

Vaccine makes ewes carriers so once started will have to annual vaccinate ........... but getting disease is horrible............  and what if neighbour vaccinates are you sheep at risk?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 08:11:09 am »
This is the info I got from my vet:
Two jags for cattle (2ml into the muscle, a month apart, from 2 months old), one for sheep (2ml from 4 months old). Booster requirement not yet clear. Not to be used in pregnant animals or breeding males. Vaccine to be used within 4 hours of opening. Immunity in place after 3 weeks but not clear how long it lasts.

10 and 50 dose bottles; my vet didn't have a price.

I'll have 4 female cattle to do twice and 20 female sheep, so I'll need to work out the best bottle sizes once I have a price. I'm definitely doing mine - it's in Scotland now  :(

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 08:28:24 am »
so if only lasts 4 hours its going to be very expensive for those just a few sheep and cattle
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Raine

• Joined May 2011
  • Lincoln
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 08:46:36 am »
 :wave:

I read this earlier in the week.  Seems like there is going to be a lot of farmers who will have to pay because of the losses this year.

http://www.fwi.co.uk/articles/14/06/2013/139541/schmallenberg-vaccine-price-causes-anger.htm#.UbwbNPnU_To

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 09:22:53 am »

Vaccine makes ewes carriers so once started will have to annual vaccinate ........... but getting disease is horrible............  and what if neighbour vaccinates are you sheep at risk?

I wouldn't have thought so, given that the vector is a midge.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 09:26:43 am »
Leaflet from our vets.

Sheep- single injection of 2ml under skin. At least 3 weeks prior to tupping. There will be a swelling at injection site.

Cattle- 2 injections 4 weeks apart into muscle. Reaction not yet assessed so not recommended for use in pregnant animals. Cost around £3/shot. Maybe that single course will last for lifetime but further work needs to be done to assess this.

Further way to try and reduce risk is via good fly/midge control.Early insecticide treatment of stock can help reduce insect population. Applying proven insecticide early on will both reduce the first wave of attack and cut next generation numbers.

Vector control tips

Reduce potential insect breeding sites.
Consider housing stock at dawn and dusk.
Use insecticides to reduce overall insect population.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 10:24:25 am »
or don't use insecticides ( safer for the environment) surely natrural immunity conferred after insect bite is the answer? even in those farms with high losses in a year?
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 11:48:11 am »
or don't use insecticides ( safer for the environment) surely natrural immunity conferred after insect bite is the answer? even in those farms with high losses in a year?

but how do you know who has been bitten. Having had 5 lambs die of SBV this year I would not wish that expperience on anyone!!! Vaccinate!

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 12:49:34 pm »
well I am not without sympathy having experienced losses of lambs myself. Having been through vaccinating the whole flock for both BTV 1 and BTV 8 and living with the possiblity that this virus could well make a comeback as well as SBV I wouldn't wish that on anyone I am querying the level of risk in flocks already previously affected.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 05:40:32 pm »

The thing is; they aren't sure how long bitten animals remain immune for, and why some animals get it and others don't - one would assmume most had been bitten by the midges concerned.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 05:51:41 pm »
Our tupping starts after the midge season, so if we could be sure all our ewes would get bitten by carrier midges then we'd not vaccinate the ewes.  Maybe we would vaccinate the tups in case the developing sperm are affected - but surely you'd vaccinate tups at least 9 weeks before using them, as sperm take 6 weeks to be developed?

I would want to vaccinate all the breeding cattle, as it's pretty much impossible to avoid the risk of at least some of our cows getting bitten by carrier midges while in the first trimester of their pregnancies.

But will vaccinating prevent vaccinated animals from developing the lifelong immunity conferred by a bite from a live carrier midge?  So that we'd have to keep on vaccinating every year?   :thinking:

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

novicesmallholder

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Worcestershire
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 07:51:42 pm »
We have taken the plunge. Vet has delivered 2 x bottles, will work out at £3 per ewe. Not unsure if lifelong or needs annual booster. Just take the view that for an extra £3 per lamb (or £1.50 if twins) I would rather vaccinate than risk encountering Scmallenberg.

SheepCrazy!

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Dumfries and Galloway
  • www.hawthornsoaysandjacobs.co.uk
    • hawthornsoaysandjacobs
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 10:34:18 pm »

Yes but don't forget that the Dairy cattle that they are testing as they are carrying Smallenberg  are showing reduced milk yields, intermittent fevers and diarrhea, will the vaccination ed animals have the same or similar problems.

I'm going to do a lot more research before I vaccinate and weigh up the pro's and cons but with cases 30 miles away it's a scary decision.

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2013, 10:42:39 pm »
O spoke to my vet about it yesterday as there are cases quite close and I did so worry. He said as mentioned above it would cost £3 - £3.50 per ewe to vaccinate. I think I'm going to vaccinate our breeding ewes and will need to do so 1 month before tupping. The ewe lambs, not bred from in first year, will be vaccinated the following tupping season. My vet also confirmed he/they had no clue how long the vaccine immunity would last but thoughts were it would cover for at least 6 months and so provide protection during the breeding and the first trimester for sure - oh so many questions though  ???

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS