Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: land for sheep grazing  (Read 3780 times)

fletty100

• Joined Jun 2013
land for sheep grazing
« on: June 14, 2013, 10:05:12 pm »
Hi. I am new on here and was looking for some advice on the small field we have at the back of the house.
We have a 2 1/2 acre overgrown field and we were thinking of letting out the land for sheep grazing. I have looked into costing for the fencing but was wondering what would you be looking to charge for letting a small field for sheep grazing. Forgot to say, i live up in aberdeenshire.
Thanks
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 10:10:54 pm by fletty100 »

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
Re: land for sheep grazing
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 11:17:09 pm »
Hi,if the fencing is bad it may be worth seeing if any one will repair it in return for having the grazing for free.

Graham
Graham.

Still playing with tractors

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
  • You can never have enough HP
Re: land for sheep grazing
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 12:31:19 pm »
You are a bit late for grazing as lets normally run from April to November, but i would guess about 100-200 pounds, as the grass is rough some people might not touch it as it will be mostly winter kill and will not give much goodness to the sheep equals less growth. As for the fencing idea look at the rent cost, it does not add up for someone. if your paddock was fenced and in good nick you could ask more, about 500 for a season.

Also dont waste your time and money on electric fencing as most sheep will just walk stright through it. You need stock netting and single string.

Hope that helps point you in the right direction.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS