Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ex Battery 'ens ... and getting them in condition  (Read 3119 times)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
Ex Battery 'ens ... and getting them in condition
« on: June 14, 2013, 07:58:29 pm »
I collected 8 ex "welfare enriched"  :roflanim: hens a few weeks ago.  Generally they are doing well, but one, the most featherless still has a very droopy comb. I've separated it at night, cos the others have attacked it a bit and it gets a boiled egg, some sultanas and honey water... but she still looks very miserable.

How long before I see some change in condition in her, they are wormed and have no fleas or mites (they did have when they arrived!!)and what else can I give her to improve her?

new camera hens 023

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Ex Battery 'ens ... and getting them in condition
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 08:44:15 pm »
I make a concoction for my new ones - my goodness that one IS over ready, isn't it  :innocent: 

Porridge oats, honey, boiling water to mix, milk to cool it, plus a liberal sprinkling of poultry spice.  They love it.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 09:06:11 pm »
I will try that but..... what is "poultry spice"? 

Sorry for being dim

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 09:08:24 pm »
I don't know what it is, a tonic I reckon, and you can get liquid tonic for hens too.  I think I got it at McCaskies, a country farm store here.

Here you go - google is soooo useful  :roflanim: 

Poultry Spice is a mineral supplement to give to poultry to improve all round condition and performance. The aromatic blend of highly palatable spices will encourage them to eat their ration and so help to keep them strong and healthy. The high mineral content will promote good egg shell quality. Invaluable to help birds get over the moult. Will help to keep condition on during cold weather. Easy to use, just add to their daily ration.
http://www.chicken-house.co.uk/acatalog/Poultry_Spice_450g.html
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sh3ph3rd

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Queensland, Australia
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 10:25:36 am »
I've used kelp for mine, it's a natural carminative and powerful endocrinal regulator. Haven't found much else that gets them into such vivid health and keeps them there. And I have tried other things, lol... Generally they sell kelp granulated at the feed/produce stores around here, all it takes is a pinch per bird per day.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 07:03:46 am »
You can get feed compounded specifically for ex-batts KC. It is designed to get them back into good condition. One of the Smallholder, Dobson and Horrell or Garvo ranges I think?

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 12:08:41 pm »
oh my- poor old girl- glad to see that the newly enriched welfare has improved things so dramatically ! generally our girls take a good while to become "normal". of our most recent ones, Maisie took  ages to adapt and to grow feathers. we were worried about her for weeks. she seemed totally over awed by the whole business, rarely left the coop and seemed totally depressed- now six months on she is the brightest cheekiest hen of the lot and loves hopping up on the wheelbarrow when i'm cleaning them out and clucking right in my face. sadly one or two never quite get there. our favourite treat for them is cooked spaghetti with a spoon of marmite melted through it. not got a clue whether it actually helps but we feel like we're doing something extra to help them and they love it. we always keep them on batt crumbs for a few weeks. good luck

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 08:17:48 pm »
We got some ex free range hens off a chicken farmer friend of ours in January- he changes his hens every 50 weeks and the old hens go into pies... so we had 15. They were a bit pecked and thin, feathers were poor. Had them on a mix of rolled barley and layers pellets and also shut them in for 2 weeks in Feb so they moulted, sounded a bit cruel but it's done wonders and they regrew new feathers and look fantastic now, laying every day and generally loving life!

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 09:00:44 pm »
The best recipe for your tired ex bats
Sage & onion or a pastry surround :roflanim:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 12:26:52 am »
try anti-pecking spray - it does work, especially if its the comb they are pecking, or they have drawn blood.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 09:18:32 am »
Mine loved cooked rice, sometimes mixed with a few treats like sultanas or something.  There is always a lowest hen in the pecking order and one of my ex "commercial free range" is always that whether there are 8 hens or 28.  I started letting her out of the run to free range for a few hours and fed her raisins by hand, took her gardening etc - eventually the rest became free range aswell and tho she still gets pecked at in the run overnight or if she crosses someone's path, they all have enough space that mostly she does her own thing.  Still follows me from the let out feed to the doorstep for her raisins tho she doesn't always get any, wee thing came oven ready, deformed neck, permanently damaged wing and tiny, caught a chill within the first week after trying to stay out of the coop and huddling behind instead, so she was indoors in a cat box for a few days at the start anyway and I think that didn't help in terms of the others picking on her since.
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS